© 2005-2014 David K. &

Milford Center Cemetery
(AKA Union Township Cemetery)
Milford Center, Union County, Ohio

Milford Center Cemetery, Milford Center, Union Township, Union County, OH

Gravestone Photographs

We finished photographing this cemetery in 2010 and it's completely on line now except for a few re-takes. We want to thank John R. High, sexton of the cemetery, for his enthusiasm for our project and for his help. He has answered our questions about the records--there really aren't any early records--and he has dug out gravestones that we would not otherwise have been able to photograph. He also allowed us into the mausoleum so that we could photograph the inside and update the cemetery book. The cemetery is in good hands with Mr. High as its sexton.

In 1799 George Reed came to this area from his native Pennsylvania.  He built a grist mill on Big Darby Creek and laid out and platted the town of Milford, later renamed Milford Center. The following history of Milford Center Cemetery is found in W. H. Beer's History of Union County, vol. 2, part 5, page 191:

Milford Center Cemetery. -This is now the principal burial ground of the township. It was first used as a family and neighborhood burying place in an early day, and was then owned by George Brown, and subsequently by H. Burnham. About 1828-30, the citizens of Milford and vicinity entered upon the work of raising money by subscription to buy the small tract of land in which interments had been made. This was accomplished. and it remained thus till about 1840. when Mr. Burnham and wife deeded 1 5/8 acres of land to the Trustees of the township and their successors to office for cemetery purposes. In 1874, the Trustees purchased 1 1/4 acres as an addition to the above. March, 1882, they purchased about five acres more, lying on the east of the old cemetery, and inclosed the whole with a good fence; and laid it all out in lots, drives and walks. Also, in the spring of 1882, the Trustees erected a substantial stone vault. They have set out trees and shrubbery, and ornamented the grounds till it is now a beautiful depository for the dead.

The cemetery is on the east edge of the town, between Big Darby Creek to the north and Plain City-Middleburg Road on the south.

In 2003 the Civil War monument honoring the men of Union Township and those buried here who served was restored and rededicated near the west end of the cemetery.

GPS Coordinates:
DEC - Latitude = 40.141772818 Longitude = -83.4268667
DMS - Latitude = 401038N Longitude = 0832537W

Some photos on this page were contributed by:
   Scott Hawley, (sh)

Gravestones:  A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Unknown | Mausoleum | Union County Gravestone Photos

(Click on the underlined name to view the gravestone photograph)


  • Ingram
  • Irwin
    • Anna, wife of Wm.B., died Aug 3, 1851, aged 52y 10m
    • In memory of Annah Zelenda, daughter of Wm. & Anna, who died Oct 20th, 1840, aged 13years 11mon 24ds; (Detail)
    • Mary, wife of J.H. and daughter of E. & M. Reynolds, died Aug 20, 1844, aged 39 years & 17 days
    • Wife, Rachel A., 1880-1958 and Husband, George W., 1873-1945
    • Samuel K., Mar 13, 1817-Feb 13, 1849; Cyprian, Aug 3, 1844, Member of CO O, 13 REG OVI, missing in action, Battle of Shiloh, Apr 7, 1862; Sarah Emily, dau of S K & E, Nov 6, 1842-Oct 2, 1843 (Whole Stone)
    • Ursula, [6th] daughter of Wm.B. & Anna, died Mar 7, 1850 aged 15y 3m [7d]
    • William B., Oct 2, 1795-Oct 17, 1873; and on side Anna Steel, wife of John Irwin, 1764-1854
  • Israel, Nellie, 1891-19__

Delaware County, Ohio Cemetery Photos
Fairfield County Cemetery Photos
Franklin County, Ohio Cemetery Photos, &Etc.
Licking County Cemetery Photos
Madison County Cemetery Photos
Pickaway County Cemetery Photos
Union County, Ohio Cemetery Photos

A This page is owned & maintained by


Gustafson - Wichmann Ancestry


NOTICE: These electronic photographs may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the .