This story and a half brick house stands at 5439 N. High
street, near stop 18. Abner Pinney, a Revolutionary soldier and a
pioneer settler of Sharon Township, was granted a large tract of
land where the house now stands. In 1842 Chester Pinney, a son,
was the sole owner of the farm and it was at this time that the
present brick structure came into being. The brick were kiln dried
on the farm. The fine mantles and fireplaces which adorned the
interior of :he house have entirely disappeared.
In 1863 Peter Ambos came into possession of the house and
farm. The property remained in his hands until 1876 when he
sold it to Samuel S. Pinney, probably the first dancing teacher in
Franklin County. In 1891 Mr. Pinney sold his holdings to John J.
Stoddart, father of the present owner, Attorney John C. Stoddart.
The first marriage performed in the new settlement of Worthington took place February 10. 1804, less than a year after the
settlement was made. The persons united in marriage were Abner
Pinney to Miss Polly Morrison. and Levi Pinney to Miss Charlotte
Beach. The ceremony was performed by Thomas Stephens, Esquire,
of Franklinton, in the log school house on the public square. Worthington. Abner and Levi Pinney were among the first settlers to arrive from Connecticut, where they were born, at the new settlement.