The first settlers in what is now Pleasant township, Franklin
County, were two brothers, Thomas and Elijah Chenoweth, natives
of Maryland who, first removed to Pike county, Ohio. In the fall of
1799 they bought 200 acres each from Lucas Sullivant, on Big Darby
Creek and erected rude cabins.
The Chenoweth homestead stands on a plain overlooking Big
Darby Creek and the Georgesville Pike about one mile out of Harris-
burg. A substantial log cabin erected by Elijah Chenoweth in 1806,
is incorporated in the present house which in itself is almost one
hundred years old. The two brothers, Thomas and Elijah Chenoweth,
were Revolutionary war soldiers and were in Colonel Crawford's
expedition against the Sandusky Indians in June, 1782. They became
separated from the army in the confusion of the second day's battle,
and in their effort to reach the Ohio river passed over the land which afterwards became their farms. Both are buried in the family cemetery near the old homestead.
Not long after the Chcnowcth brothers settled on Big Darby,
a new settlement was begun father up the creek at the mouth of
Little Darby. This in time became Gcorgesville. Among these
pioneer settlers were Thomas Roberts, Samuel Dyer, James Gardiner,
John Turner, John Bigger, Samuel Kerr and others. In 1805 Mr.
Dyer erected his mill which was long known as "Dyer's Mill."