Early Franklin County Homesteads
Originally published in the Franklin County Historical Society Bulletin about 1950
Every effort has been made to locate any possible copyright holder; none has been located.
No copyright infringement is intended.
THE HUFFMAN HOMESTEAD
The builder of this house, John Huffman, was a soldier in Lord Dunmore's
army in 1774.
John Huffman, the builder of this 8-room, two-story brick house,
was a soldier in Lord Dunmore's army and was one of the 240 men
who, under Colonel William Crawford, marched to the forks of the
Scioto in October 1774 to attack a band of Indians who were seeking
At the the close of the war, Huffman returned to his home in
Washington County, Pennsylvania, but in 1800 he returned to the
Scioto and purchased 300 acres of land. Four years later he returned
with his family and built a cabin near the site of the present Huffman
home. In 1805 he erected a distillery near his cabin and shipped
the product by flatboat down the Scioto to Portsmouth. He also
engaged in farming and prospered in both businesses. In 1825 he
built the present substantial structure which still maintains practically
all of its original characteristics both interior and exterior. Its formal dignity, however, is relieved somewhat by the change in the road. What was formerly the front of the house is now the rear, a change
which resulted from a complete relocation of the highway. This 125-year-old homestead, including a large part of the original farm, is still
in the Huffman family, direct descendants of the original pioneer. It is
located on Jackson pike, three miles south of Columbus in Franklin