Early Franklin County Homesteads
Originally published in the Franklin County Historical Society Bulletin about 1950
Every effort has been made to locate any possible copyright holder; none has been located.
No copyright infringement is intended.
THE WILLIAM WHIMS HOMESTEAD
William Whims burnt the brick for this homestead in his own kilns.
The Whims homestead is located on Shannon Road north of the Canal Winchester highway in Madison Township. It is not far from Black Lick Creak and the old Whims Farm is one of the finest in the county.
Mr. Whims burnt the brick in his own kilns just south of the house. The lumber, as is the case in many of the substantial old homesteads in the county, is largely of black walnut. There is a square stone name plate in the wall above the front door just at the point where the two stories meet. On it is chiseled, in very excellent letters and figures, the name of the owner and builder "WILLIAM WHIMS" and the year it was built "1849." The homestead was 101 years old in 1950.
A daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Whims married Tillman Palsgrove and inherited the house and farm. They occupied it until their death when their son. George Palsgrove, inherited it. Mr. Palsgrove, with his wife and family, still reside there. Thus only three families have occupied the house and farm and they are direct descendents of the original builder and owner. The family's record of occupancy of the same house, on the same farmstead for over one hundred years, makes it outstanding among those in Madison Township.