Early Franklin County Homesteads
Originally published in the Franklin County Historical Society Bulletin about 1950
Every effort has been made to locate any possible copyright holder; none has been located.
No copyright infringement is intended.
ISAAC MINER HOMESTEAD
Isaac Miner. builder of this home, at one time entertained Henry Clay.
This fine old homestead was built by Isaac Miner in 1823 under the supervision of Dr. Lincoln Goodale who lived in the vicinity at the time. It is located on an elevation not far from Greenlawn Avenue and Jackson Pike.
The bricks used in the construction of this house were made in Chillicothe and hauled to the site in wagons. The house originally contained a second-story portico showing strongly the southern influence in the construction. This has been removed. The grounds were covered with trees and immediately southeast of the house was a fine sugar grove.
In his boyhood days Edwin M. Stanton was a frequent visitor and he and John Miner attended Kenyon college together. Isaac Miner was an ardent Whig and on one occasion entertained Henry Clay at this home. In the home, Isaac Miner raised a large family, and for many years, until the children were grown, the place was a center of activity and pleasure.
The famous "Miner Spring" or "White Sulphur Spring," where many picnics were held, was a feature of the farm.