Copyright © 2005-2017
Ohio American Local Hisotry Network
No copyright is claimed on non-original or licensed material.
Return to Early Institutions
Go to Main Page
THE Toledo Critic recently published an able article on the Ohio State University, which is here reprinted as a valuable and comprehensive contribution to this work. The article in part is as follows:
In 1878 the legislature passed "An act to reorganize and change the name of the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College and to repeal certain acts therein mentioned." The act provided that the institution should be there after designated as "The Ohio State University." Up to this time but one appropriation had been made by the State for the support of the institution. With the reorganization came the larger and broader view of the State's relation to public education, and since that time the Ohio State University has shared with other public educational institutions a more generous support by the State.
The governing body of the institution is a Board of Trustees, appointed by the Governor of the State and confirmed by the Senate, for terms of seven years, as provided in the law organizing the University. The original endowment has been supplemented, and the objects of the University promoted, by a permanent annual grant from the United States, under an act of 1890, by special appropriations of the General Assembly; and in 1891, by a permanent annual grant from the State, which grant was doubled by the legislature of 1896. In accordance with the spirit of the law under which it is organized, the University aims to furnish ample facilities for education in the liberal and industrial arts, the sciences and the languages, and for through technical and professional study of agriculture, engineering in its various departments, veterinary medicine, pharmacy and law. Through the aid which has been received from the United States and from the State, it is enabled to offer its privileges, with a slight charge for incidental expenses, to all persons of either sex who are qualified for admission.
The University is situated within the corporate limits of the city of Columbus, two miles north of the Union Depot, and about three miles from the State Capitol. The University grounds consist of three hundred and forty-five acres, bounded east and west by High Street, and the Olentangy river, respectively. The western portion, about 235 acres, is devoted to agricultural and horticultural purposes, and is under the management of the College of Agriculture and Domestic Science. The eastern portion is occupied by the principal University buildings, campus, athletic and drill grounds, a park-like meadow, and a few acres of primitive forest.
The grounds are laid out with care, ornamented with trees, shrubs and flower beds; and are so managed as to illustrate the instruction in Botany, Horticulture, Forestry, Landscape Gardening and Floriculture.
The university has thirteen buildings devoted to instruction, one Boiler House, one Power House, two Dormitories, six residences, and some farm buildings. These buildings represent an investment for construction of about eight hundred thousand dollars. The equipment and apparatus amount to about one hundred and seventy thousand dollars. The land no occupied as a site with the farm is valued at one million five hundred thousand dollars.
The Ohio State University is divided into six colleges, as follows:
(1.) The College of Agriculture and Domestic Science consists of those departments represented in the course leading to the degrees of Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, Bachelor of Science in Horticulture and Forestry, and Bachelor of Science in Domestic Economy, and the Course in Dairying.
(2.) The College of Arts, Philosophy and Science consists of those departments represented in the courses leading to the degree of Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Philosophy, and Bachelor of Science; and in the Courses Preparatory to Law and to Journalism.
(3.) The College of Engineering consists of those departments represented in the courses leading to the degrees of Civil Engineer, Engineer of Mines, Engineer of Mines in Ceramics, Mechanical Engineer, Mechanical Engineer in Electrical Engineering, and Bachelor of Science in Industrial Arts, Bachelor of Science in Chemistry or to Metallurgy; in the Course in Architecture, in the Short Course in Clay-working and Ceramics, and in the Short Course in Mining.
(4.) The College of Law consists of those departments represented in the course leading to the degree of Bachelor of Laws.
(5.) The College of Pharmacy consists of those departments represented in the courses leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy, and in the Short Course in Pharmacy.
(6.) The College of Veterinary Medicine consists of those departments represented in the course leading to the degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, and to a certificate of Veterinary Surgeon.
Return to Early Institutions
Go to Main Page