THE first settlement of what is now Mifflin Township was commenced about the year 1799 or 1800, by emigrants from Pennsylvania. Amongst the first settlers, were William Read, (afterward Judge Read,) William Simmons, Frederick Agler, George Baughman, Daniel Turney, Matthias Ridenour, then Ebenezer Butler, and others. In the division of the county into townships, in 1803, this territory was included in, and formed a part of Liberty Township. In 1811, the township was established and organized with its present boundaries, and named after their old Pennsylvania Governor--Mifflin. It consists of just one of the original surveyed townships, of five miles square, and is designated at township number one, in range number seventeen, of the United States Military Lands. There was nothing remarkable in the settlement of the township; the population and improvements progressed regularly.
There has not yet been any flouring mill erected in this township, but several saw mills--some that have done a good business, and others that appeared to do well for a time, but were then suffered to run down. Amongst the former, are Dean's old mill, erected over thirty years ago, and now owned by Judge Heyl, and Park's mill; and amongst the latter, was one erected by Mr. Janney, on Walnut Creek, about the year 1835 or '36, and afterward owned by J. M. Walcutt, Esq., and one erected by A. McElvain, on Alum Creek, about the year 1837 or '39. There is but one town or village in this township, and that is Gahanna, or Bridgeport, laid out part by John Clark, Esq., in 1848 or '49, and called Gahanna, and part by Jesse Baughman, Esq., in 1853, and called Bridgeport. There is a post office in the place, established in August, 1849. Thos. Young, Esq., was the first postmaster, and continued until July, 1853; when John T. Baughman, the present incumbent, was appointed. There is another post office on Alum Creek, at Park's saw mill. This was established in 1851. The first postmaster was Jeremiah Lasure, who continued until 1853, when he was succeded [sic.] by James Parks, Esq., the present incumbent.
The population of this township, agreeably to the census of 1840, as 825. In 1850, it was 1,095. In 1853, the township contained nine school districts, and an aggregate of 446 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 458.
There are two churches contiguous to the village of Bridgeport, one a good frame building, belonging to the Presbyterians, and the other a brick, belonging to the Lutheran and German Reformed congregations.
|BACK TO INDEX||TABLE OF CONTENTS||NEXT|