THIS township consists of just one of the original surveyed townships, of five miles square, and is designated on the original plats as township one, range eighteen, United States Military Lands. Amongst the first settlers in this township, were the Fultons–Hugh and Robert–John Hunter, Samuel McElvain and family, John Lisle and family, Mr. Henderson and family, and the Hesses; and about 1804 or 1805, David Beers and family
In 1811, it was organized as a township. In 1814, Roswell Wilcox moved into the township, and erected the mills long known as the "Wilcox mills," but of late years known as the "Piatt mills," and now owned by the Messrs. Hess, which have been doing a useful business over forty years. Farther up the creek, are George Whip's mills, also doing a good business; and there are three distilleries in the township doing a pretty extensive business manufacturing liquor, and fattening hogs, etc.
About the year 1846 or '47, Alanson Bull, Esq., sold a few building lots on the road side, which were bought and improved by mechanics. He did not have any plat of his lots recorded, nor did he design it for a regular town, but merely to afford residences for a few mechanics, for the benefit of the neighborhood. It however soon grew into a village, and assumed the name of "Clintonville." There was a post office established here in Oct. 1847, and James Ferguson, the postmaster.
In 1852, Messrs. Solomon and George W. Beers, laid out some lots on the roadside between Clintonville and Columbus, and had their plat recorded, and named the place, "North Columbus;" in which some considerable improvements have been made.
There are in this township three churches and three cemeteries—a Methodist Church and burying place on the Worthington plank road, near the residence of Rev. Jason Bull; and another about five miles from Columbus, on the Lockwin plank road, near the residence of G. S. Innis, Esq.; and a church at Clintonville, belonging to the Christian denomination; and a burying place three or four miles north of Columbus, on the west side of the Olentangy.
In 1840, this township contained 969 inhabitants. In
1850, it contained 1, 186. In 1853, it constituted ten school districts, and contained an aggregate of 370 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 430.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
|BACK TO INDEX||TABLE OF CONTENTS||NEXT|