THIS township was stricken off from Sharon, and established the 6th of March, 1815, by the name of Harrison, (the original Harrison Township, described in Chapter II, having been chiefly stricken from Franklin County in the formation of Pickaway County, in 1810, and the remaining part of it being included in the townships of Hamilton and Madison.). In 1825, the county Commissioners changed the name from Harrison to Blendon. The township consists of just one original surveyed township, of five miles square; being township number two, in range seventeen, United States Military Lands. The settlement of this township was not commenced quite as soon as some of the surrounding ones. The first settlers here, were Messrs. Edward Phelps and Ezra Griswold. They arrived here from Windsor, Connecticut, in 1806; the former is cut the first tree ever felled by a white man in the township. Mr.
Phelps died in 1840, aged eighty-one years. Mr. Griswold has resided in the township ever since 1806, and still (1858) is in the enjoyment of a sound constitution and good health. In 1808, Messrs. George Osborn and Ethan Palmer, from Windsor, and Francis Olmsted and his family of sons, (of whom Gen. Philo H. is one), arrived from Simsbury, Connecticut; and about the same time Cruger Wright settled here, and John Mattoon and Reuben Carpenter, from Vermont, Henry Hone, from Pennsylvania, Isaac Harrison, John and William Cooper, from Virginia. Subsequently, apt. John Bishop, Timothy Lee, Esq., Gideon Hart, Esq., the Westervelts, and others.
There are, in this township, two villages; Westerville, laid out by Matthew Westervelt, in July, 1839; and Amalthea, of Central College, laid out by the College Board of Trustees, on the lands of T. Lee, Esq., in 1849. There are three post offices in this township: The one at Blendon Four Corners, was established in 1824, and first called Harrison. In 1825, after the name of the township was changed, the office was called Blendon Cross Roads, or Four Corners. Isaac Griswold, Esq., was the first postmaster, and continued by reäppointments until 1853, when he resigned, and his son Cicero Griswold, the present incumbent, was appointed. The Westerville office was established about the year 1846. Ja-
cob B. Connelly, Esq., first postmaster; W. W. Whitehead, second; W. Brush, third; W. W. Whitehead, fourth; Henry Dyxon, fifth; N. M. Hawthorn, sixth; James Westervelt, seventh; Milton H. Mann, the present incumbent.
The Blendon Institute post office was established in 1841—changed name to Central College in 1842. Austin Stibbins has been the postmaster from its first establishment until the present time.
The different denominations of professing Christians in the township, are Old School and New School Prespyterians, United Brethren, and Methodists; all of which have their several places of worship.
The population of this township, agreeably to the census of 1840, wa 972. In 1850, it was 1, 303. In 1853, the township contained thirteen school districts, and an aggregate of 548 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the agregate of such youth was 547.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
|BACK TO INDEX||TABLE OF CONTENTS||NEXT|