(Continued from other side)
Four future Presidents passed through Camp Chase, A. Johnson, Hayes, Garfield, and McKinley, and Confederates captured during Morgan's Raid in 1863 included Gen. Basil W. Duke. The camp was closed in 1865 and by September 1867 dismantled buildings, usable items, and 450 patients from Tripler Military Hospital (also in Columbus) were transferred to the National Soldier's Home in Dayton. In 1895 former Union soldier, William H. Knauss organized the first memorial service at the cemetery and in 1906 wrote a history of the camp. In 1902 the Memorial Arch was dedicated. From 1912 to 1994 the United Daughters of the Confederacy held annual services. The Hilltop Historical Society now sponsors the event on the first Sunday in June.