The Clinton and Blendon Plank Road Company was organized in 1853 and during that time and the following year the road was constructed from Lockwin road and extended to the Delaware County line, the whole length being a little over eight miles.
There were two toll gates on the road. One is located on Westerville Road and the other was at the present site of Mifflinville. The latter has been demolished.
This plank road was of enormous benefit to the community which it served but it did not remunerate the stockholders very much. The officers of the company when organized were G. W. Schrock, J. W. Jamison, W. L. Phelps, D. L. Holton, and Zenus Jackson who served as trustees. G. W. Schrock was also president; J. C. Vance, secretary; and H. M. Phelps, Treasurer.
The Clinton and Blendon plank road company, which was organized in accordance with an act of the legislature passed in 1853, had built this toll house and the one which stood at Mifflinville in 1854, the year in which the road was completed. The road extended from a point near the present Linden High School building, north to the Delaware county line, half a mile north of Westerville. The road, which was a little over eight miles in length. cost about sixteen thousand, five hundred dollars.
The toll house is one of three still standing in Franklin County.