INFORMATION FOR NEW STATE and COUNTY WEBMASTERS
So, you're interested in adopting a county. Hopefully, this page will answer
any questions you might have. If you have any suggestions that might be of help
on this page, please let us know.
WHAT IS REQUIRED:
- A love of history and genealogy, and a willingness to share information on
a web site.
- The ability to create web pages.
- Familiarize yourself with the mission and the purpose of the project. For
more information on the American Local History Network, Inc. (ALHN, Inc.),
please visit the national website at http://www.alhn.org.
You will want to visit the Mission
page as well as the About ALHN
GENERAL STATE, COUNTY AND TOWN REQUIREMENTS:
We have a few requirements for State, County and Town webmasters for their
- You must obtain your own web space. You are free to get web space from
whomever you choose. Many of the ALHN webmasters do use USGennet.org
because they offer free space to all ALHN-affiliated webmasters. They also
have a cute logo and NO banners.
- State WebMasters must provide a link back to the ALHN
- County Webmasters should provide a link to their State Page and Town
Webmasters should provide a link to the County Web Page. You may also
provide a link to the national web pages if you wish, but it is not
- Though not required, you may obtain a national logo provided on the ALHN
Graphics page. Also provided are three logos for use by the Ohio ALHN county sites. For those that like to create graphics, you are also
welcome to create your own, if you would prefer. The logos must contain
either "ALHN" or "American Local History Network". If
you don't care for the National Logos but can't design your own the States
Web Master will do their best to help you in your endeavor.
- Your site must contain some original content and not be a page primarily
- You must respect copyright law. If you have any questions regarding
copyright, please see U.S. Copyright
- All web pages must be child-safe sites. In other words, no pornography or
obscene subject matter, photos or otherwise.
- Other than these above listed requirements, these are independent sites
and therefore are yours to create and maintain.
- Once you have decided to adopt a State, please get in touch with the ALHN States Webmaster.
- If you are interested in adopting an Ohio
county, please get in touch with
the state webmaster. If that
county is unavailable, maybe consider adopting the county.
MAILING LISTS FOR ALHN WEBMASTERS
As a state, county or town webmaster affiliated with ALHN, you will want to
be on the ALHN mailing list. All ALHN webmasters are eligible to join this list.
To subscribe, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All ALHN webmasters are not members of ALHN, Inc. To become a voting member
and have a say in the running of the corporation, you must request membership by
subscribing to the ALHN membership-voting list. To sign up for the ALHN
Membership-Voting List, which is used only for official announcements and polls,
Need a little assistance on your pages, boards, etc., try WEB-HELP
CREATING WEB PAGES
Want to adopt but don't know how to create your own web pages? Try these
Here's another helpful web site with lots of information: Help4Web
Ftp is a program that allows you to upload your newly created or edited web
pages onto your webspace provider. These are two of the more popular programs
and have free trial versions available for downloading.
Return to Ohio State
Created August 10, 2000
Web design and graphics by Kathy Leigh & Cathy Parziale