© 2002-2017 Leona L. Gustafson

Suggestion:  Use your browser's "FIND" function to search this site.

1862 | 1873 | 1880 | 1884 | 1897
1900 | 1902 | 1903 | 1904 | 1907 | 1908 | 1909
1910 | 1913 | 1914 | 1915
1921 | 1923 | 1925 | 1928 | 1929

Return to Main Page

22 Oct 1862     23 Oct 1862

Ohio State Journal, Wednesday, October 22, 1862
Transcribed by Joyce Robinson

Died, yesterday, at his late residence, No. 260 Rich Street, Mr. Jeremiah Armstrong, in the 78th year of his age.

Mr. Armstrong was one of the Pioneers of the State. He was born in Washington county, Md., in 1785. His father removed to Virginia, and settled near the mouth of the Big Kanahwa. Here his father's house was attacked by a party of Wyandot Indians, his mother and three of the children killed and scalped before him. His father escaped. Himself, a brother and a sister were made prisoners, and their lives spared only upon the intercession of one of the savages. They were taken to Upper Sandusky, and subsequently to Lower Sandusky, where they were adopted into different Indian tribes, and were there separated.

Mr. Armstrong remained in the Indian tribe for four years, and at the end of that time first met his brother who had also regained his liberty. The sister was rescued and taken to Canada. After his adoption into the Indian family they all came to Columbus and encamped near where the penitentiary now is, the Indians having raised corn on "Sullivant's Prairie." Mr. Armstrong was first named Hoos-co-a-tah-yah (Little Head). His name was afterwards changed to Duh-guah. So thoroughly had he become Indianized that he quite forgot his own language; and when his elder brother came for him after the treaty of peace, he stoutly refused to go with him, and was taken away crying to return to his Indian mama, who also was crying and begging to have him left with her.

Mr. Armstrong subsequently settled in Franklinton, and afterwards in Columbus, where he has lived till the time of his decease.

Mr. Armstrong bore a high character for probity and moral worth, and his departure is mourned by an affectionate family.

His funeral will take place at 2 p.m. on Thursday, (tomorrow) from his late residence, 260 East Rich Street. Friends are invited to attend.

The Ohio State Journal, Thursday, October 23, 1862
Transcribed by Joyce Robinson

In Westerville, on the 11th of October, Malcome C. Harris, in the 22nd year of his age.

The deceased was born in Adelphia, Ross county, Ohio, on the 5th of August, 1841; and when two years of age his parents removed to Franklin county. On the 1st of September, 1858, he entered the high school in Columbus, where he made rapid proficiency in his studies, and endeared himself to his teachers and schoolmates. It was while attending school here that he sought and embraced that religion which he so faithfully cherished and practiced until death. On the 6th of May, 1860, he joined the N.S. Presbyterian Church under the labors of Rev. E.D. Morris. In the spring of 1861, wishing to enjoy the advantages of a collegiate education, he came a student at Otterbein University, where both by his diligence as a student and his zeal as a Christian, he made many warm friends. Feeling it his duty to assist in the present war for the maintenance of our government, and ever ready to obey the dictates of conscience, he entered the army as a soldier on the 28th of May last. His term of enlistment expiring, he was discharged on the 23rd of September. His health did not permit his returning to the army, and he had returned to Westerville to resume his studies. But alas! although spared by death in the camp, he was not permitted to realize his hopes of future usefulness.

Thus has passed away one in the strength of manhood, for whose success in life his friends entertained the brightest hopes. But God's Providence are mysterious. Yet He doeth all things well; and although this dispensation is a source of mourning to many friends and relatives, they mourn not as hose who have no hope, but have every assurance that their loss is to him eternal gain.


The Daily Dispatch, Friday, February 14, 1873
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson


A Little Boy Falls Over Stair Bannister
at the American House and is
Fatally Injured--His Death this Morning.

This community will be painfully shocked at the announcement that little George A. Blount, only child of Colonel Blount, proprietor of the American House, has died from fatal injuries received by falling over the stairway bannister from the second to the first floor, striking his forehead on a heavy iron stove hearth at the bottom of the staircase hall.  The accident occurred on Friday, the 7th inst., and death ensued this (Friday) morning, eight days of intense anxiety to the parents and friends having elapsed between the fall and its fatal effect.  A similar accident happened to the child about one year ago.  Since that time the watchful eyes of his parents and the hotel employees have been constantly upon him to prevent a repetition of the accident; but, notwithstanding all the care that could be taken, it came when least expected, and at a moment when the household was enjoying the best pleasures of life, health, happiness and prosperity.

Mr. Blount had ordered a carriage for his wife, who was going out to ride, and she, with her son, started for their private apartments from the office floor.  The little boy, it seems, had forgotten something in the office, and suddenly remembering that fact at the room door, dashed down the stairs as his mother entered the apartment, taking a ride on the smooth bannister rail as the quickest means of reaching his destination.

Mr. Cashatt, clerk in the office, heard the sound of the fall, as did a porter in another room, and both hastened to the spot the porter reaching the helpless and bleeding form first.  Mr. Blount was there in a moment, and carried his boy up stairs, where he remained until death came and relieved him from suffering.

Doctors Loving, Smith, and Frankenberg were called, and the latter remained in constant attendance while life remained, administering such relief as was suggested by the associated physicians.  The child was unconscious part of the time, partly from the effect of chloroform and partly from the injury, and when the fever in his body touched the brain convulsions followed.  After four o'clock P. M. Thursday he became entirely oblivious to all that occurred in the room, and remained in that condition until he died.  He must have fallen head foremost, as the greatest injury was upon the head.  A cut across the forehead and a large black bruise over the left eye were the only contusions on the body.  The bruise closed the left eye, and it remained closed, except upon one or two occasions, when it was opened only for a few minutes.

The face of the child was familiar to many who have been guests in the house, and among the attaches he was a general favorite.  Everybody called him Georgie, and all who knew him, with the very extensive circle of acquaintances enjoyed by his father and mother, will deeply sympathize with the parents in this sad bereavement.  His age was five years and five months.

A funeral service will be held in the hotel parlors at 8:30 A. M., Saturday, by Rev. Rufus W. Clark, Rector of Trinity Church, after which the body will be laid away in the cemetery at Hillsboro, Ohio,* the home of Mrs. Blount's father and mother.  The latter, Mrs. Sarah E. Tucker, arrived in Columbus last evening, and will return with the funeral cortege.

*George A. Blount, the subject of this newspaper story, was actually buried at Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus in Section X. (Tombstone Photo)


Columbus Dispatch, Saturday, March 20, 1880
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson


A Boy Killed by Cars—It is Said He Attempted to Board a Train

     This afternoon about half past twelve; John Luckhaupt, son of Adam Luckhaupt, who lives at No. 260 South New street, was run over by a freight train going south on the Hocking Valley road, near Biehl's brewery. The lad made an attempt to jump on the train and slipped, falling underneath the cars. His body was nearly severed in twain. He lived fully half an hour after being injured. His remains were taken to the residence of his father, and Coroner Egan was summoned. Young Luckhaupt's father has been working at the gravel bank in the southern part of the city. This morning the son asked permission of his father to come down and see him. It is supposed that he attempted to jump the train and ride down. His brother was with him at the time of the accident. The Coroner rendered a verdict of "accidental death by attempting to board a moving train."


The Ohio State Journal, Tuesday, October 7, 1884
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson


FOLLETT--Mrs. FOSTER M. FOLLET, at Sandusky, Sunday, October 5.
HENRY--J. THOMPSON HENRY, died October 6, 1884. Funeral from his residence, No. 187 North Water street. Friends are respectfully invited to attend.
DOMIGAN--WM. DOMIGAN, SR., Monday morning at 10 o'clock, aged 72 years. Funeral from the family residence, Clinton township, Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock. Friends invited to attend.
MCGUIER--On Monday morning, October 6, at 6 a. m., RUTH LOVING, youngest daughter of J. G. and Jessie Blaine McGuier, aged 20 months. Funeral services from the family residence, Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock, at No. 42 South Fifth street. Burial private.
WOODWARD--Saturday, October 4, at noon, WILLIAM H. WOODWARD, aged 25 years. The funeral will take place from the family residence, No. 115 North Park street, Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Friends and acquaintances are invited to attend.


The Columbus Dispatch, Thursday, April 15, 1897
Transcribed by Cathy Haddox

Burial Permits

J. M. Nye, 222 East Spring, aged 79 years, senile gangrene.
Sarah Moser, 117 South Scioto, aged 77 years, heart failure.
David Charrock, State hospital, aged 70 years, senility.
Herbert St John, 188 South Front, aged 2 months, lung congestion.
Margaret Parr, 1101 Say, aged 60 years, heart trouble.
Florence Gillespie, 647 West Broad, aged 24 years, peritonitis.
John B. Michener, penitentiary, aged 47 years, yellow atrophy.
Lee Deming, 1090 Say, aged 67 years, paralysis.

26 Jun 1900     27 Jun 1900

The Columbus Dispatch, Tuesday, June 26, 1900
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson

Page 7
Passing Away of a Leading Clergyman--A Useful Career Cut Short.

     Rev. George H. Geyer, pastor of King Avenue M. E. Church of this city, died last evening at 5:30 o'clock at his residence, 1378 Neil avenue. Rev. Mr. Geyer's death was caused by consumption and he passed away peacefully and quietly without a struggle. He leaves a widow and three small children, two boys and a little girl, aged five, three and two years, besides three brothers, Rev. W. C. Geyer, now supplying the pulpit at Alexandria, Messrs. John and Norman Geyer, at home in Pomeroy, O.;
Rev. George H. Geyer (1868-1900)
two sisters, Miss Carrie, whose home has been during the past year with Rev. Mr. Geyer's family on Neil avenue, and Miss Nellie, who lives with the father and step-mother in Pomeroy.
     Rev. George H. Geyer was born in Pomeroy, May 26, 1868, was educated in the public schools of that city, graduating from the high school in 1884, taught three years in the Pomeroy high school; graduated from Ohio Wesleyan university in 1892, with high honors as student and orator, having won the state and interstate collegiate oratorical contests.
     He was a member of the Delta Tau Delta college fraternity. In August, 1892, he was married to Miss Carrie Brown Dodds, of Xenia, O, President J. W. Bashford officiating. He entered the Boston school of theology in the fall of 1892 and graduated in June, 1895, with the highest honors as he was elected by both the faculty and his class to be the honor man.
     During the three years in Boston, he was pastor of a mission chapel supported by the Old South Congregational church. In September, 1895, he entered the Ohio conference and was appointed to the pastorate of the new Spencer church at Ironton, O., which he served faithfully and well until October, 1898, when he was called to King avenue. He was absent from the charge six months last year, visiting Asheville, N. C. and returned much better, resuming his work, uninterrupted by illness until he took the grip March first. He preached the last sermon on the evening of March 11, and tried to preach again April 1, but could not finish the sermon.
     Rev. Mr. Geyer was one of the purest and highest types of Christian ministers, magnificently equipped for his work. His great power was spirituality, made more powerful by superior intellectuality. He was peculiarly loved by the people of the two charges he served in this conference. King avenue has never had a pastor to which the people have been so warmly attached and there is a feeling throughout the church that he has given to them a deeper spiritual insight than they ever had before. His loss is greatly to be deplored.
     The funeral services will be held Wednesday at noon from the King Avenue church and will be conducted by Dr. J. C. Arbuckle, presiding elder of the Columbus district, who ordained Rev. Mr. Geyer as a local preacher 14 years ago in Pomeroy; Rev. Joseph Clark, secretary of the Ohio Sunday school association, who was the pastor of the Geyer family at Pomeroy, 1894-5, and President J. W. Bashford of O. W. U. Interment will be made at Xenia, O.
     The casket will not be opened at the church, but the body will lie in state at the residence from 9 to 11:30 a. m.
     The pall-bearers have been chosen as follows: W. V. Zartman, L. L. Rankin, R. E. Ackland, Charles Boardman, W. F. Janeway and M. E. Taylor, all leading members of the King Avenue church.
     At noon today the trustees of the church held a meeting and selected the following committees to act in the funeral and memorial arrangements:
     Committee on resolutions--L. D. Lilley, C. H. Tingley and C. M. Rogers
     Committee for memorial Sunday--Rev. Joseph Clark, C. H. Tingley and Frank Rathmell.
     Committee on flowers--W. F. Janeway, R. E. Ackland, and E. E. Fisher.
     Committee on church decoration--C. M. Rogers, F. E. Miller and Frank Rathmell.

The Columbus Dispatch, Tuesday, June 27, 1900
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson

Page 6
Impressive Addresses Made by
Distinguished Divines--Interment
Made at Xenia.

     The funeral services of Rev. George H. Geyer, pastor of King Avenue M. E. church, took place from the church at noon today. A large concourse of friends assembled to do honor to the memory of their departed friend and pastor.
     The church around the altar was beautifully decorated with flowers. Rev. J. C. Arbuckle conducted the services, which opened with the hymn "O Could I Sing the Matchless Worth." Rev. N. W. Goodof Third avenue, read a scripture lesson and Rev. L. C. Sparks of Gift street, offered a beautiful prayer. Rev. Dr. Porter read a psalm after which the addresses were made by Dr. Arbuckle, Dr. Stevenson, representing Ohio Wesleyan university, Rev Mr. Pierce, a very intimate friend of the deceased pastor, and Baptist minister of Ironton, Ohio, and Rev. Joseph Clark. There was no sermon, but the brief addresses were appropriate and sincere.
     Mrs. Geyer was prostrated from grief and was unable to attend the funeral services. Rev. Mr. Terrell of Xenia, a classmate of the late Rev. Mr. Geyer, was among the many friends from a distance. Mr. Geyer's father and brother John of Ironton, and Will of Alexandria, and Mrs. Geyer's mother of Xenia, were also present.
     The Methodist ministers of Columbus and surrounding towns attended in a body. The funeral party left this afternoon for Xenia where the Interment will be made.


The Columbus Dispatch, Saturday, April 12, 1902, page 7
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson

Mrs. Mary Ross Dead.

Mrs. Mary Ross died Friday even[ing] at 278 East Fulton street, aged 83 years, eight months and five days. The funeral will take place from the residence of her sister Mrs. E. B. Sargent, at 1025 East Rich street, on Monday at 2 p. m.

Sudden Death

Mrs. John Lynch died suddenly at 10 p. m. Friday at the residence of her son-in-law, John E. Dillivn, 425 Sullivant avenue, from hear failure.

Deceased was born in Ireland, and has been a resident of Columbus for the past 40 years. She leave four grown children, only one daughter being a resident of this city.


Columbus Boy Passes Away at
Mansfield Reformatory

A special to The Dispatch from Mansfield, O., says: “Samuel Denny, aged 20, received at the reformatory five days ago from Columbus for burglary and larceny, died late last night at the reformatory hospital of congestion of the brain. He had been ill ever since he was brought here and was raving. He steadily grew worse during the past two days. The body will be shipped to his father, George Denny.


BANCROFT--Harvey, Thursday, April 10, at Los Angeles, Cal., in his 96th [or 36th] year. Notice of funeral later.
GERREN--Robert Chambers, son of Howard D. Gerren, of Bullitt Park, Saturday morning, aged 22 months. Funeral notice later.
WITTMANN--George, Saturday morning at 2 o'clock. Funeral from residence, 1375 South Fifth street, Tuesday, April 15, at 1:30 p. m. (standard). Friends and acquaintances invited.
LYNCH--Mrs. John, Friday, April 11 at 10 p. m. Funeral from St Patrick's church Monday, April 14 at 9 o'clock (standard). Friends invited.
ROSS--Mrs. Mary, at her residence, 278 East Fulton. Friday evening, April 11, aged 83 years, 8 months and 5 days. Funeral from the residence of her sister, Mrs. E. B. Sargent 1025 East Rich street, Monday April 14 at 2 o'clock. Friends invited.
CONKLIN--Elsis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Conklin. Friday, at 5:45 a. m., aged 15 years, 1 month and 25 days. Funeral Sunday at 2 p. m. at Tenth Avenue Baptist church. Friends invited.


The Columbus Dispatch, Wednesday, July 1, 1903
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson


LEONARD--Hannah Brentnall, widow of Theodore Leonard, Tuesday morning, June 30, 1903, at 2 o'clock, at her residence, 1465 Franklin Ave, aged 82 years. Funeral Thursday morning at 9 o'clock from St. Joseph's Cathedral. Interment private.
DAVIS--Theodore J., June 30, 1903, at 11:30 p.m., aged 38 years. Funeral Friday, July 3, 1903, at 8:30 a.m., from the residence, 28 Mead St. Interment at Dublin.
LEWIS--James J., at his home, 29 E. Seventh Ave., Wednesday, July 1, 1903, at 4 a.m., aged 72 years. Funeral services at the residence Friday, July 3, at 2:30 p.m. (standard). Friends invited. Interment at Zanesville, O.



Church Crowded with Mourning Friends
To Pay Last Tribute

Funeral services were held over the remains of the late Dr. Alonzo B. Richardson Wednesday afternoon at the Broad Street M. E. church, Dr. W. H. Scott of the Ohio State university officiating, assisted by Rev. Dr. B. L. McElroy, past of Broad Street M. E. church. The chancel was completely covered with beautiful floral emblems, tributes of friends. The church was filled with sorrowing mourners, many having come from various parts of the country.

The following served as active pallbearers: Drs. A. B. Howard, of Cleveland; H. C. Eyman, of Cleveland; George Stockton, of Columbus; E. H. Rorick, of Athens; H. A. Tobey, of Toledo, and A. F. Shepard, of Dayton. The following honorary pallbearers were present: Drs. E. J. Wilson, D. N. Kinsmffan [Sic.], J. F. Baldwin, W. D. Deuschle, J. J. Jennings, Justice John A. Shauck, Colonel A. B. Robinson, of Marysville, and Dr. Richard Dewey, of Wisconsin.

Internment was made in a vault at Green Lawn cemetery. The body arrived from Washington, D. C., Wednesday morning at 6:5 o'clock and was removed to the Jones undertaking parlors where it was prepared for burial and taken to the Broad Street M. E. church at 10 o'clock

Previous to leaving Washington services were observed at 1:30 o'clock Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Dr. Hamlin, pastor of the Church of the Convent [Covenant?] officiating. At the marriage of the late Dr. Richardson, and Miss Julia Harris, of Athens, on October 24, 1876, Dr. Scott was the performing clergyman. Dr. Scott was also president of Ohio State and Ohio Wesleyan universities when Dr. Richardson was a student.

March 7, 1904 | May 17, 1904 - Sadie and Beryl Copeland | May 18, 1904

The Columbus Dispatch, Wednesday, March 7, 1904
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson

Page 7

Burial permits today:  Edward C. Nickens, aged 19, pneumonia; Hugo Kreher, aged 32, cerebral congestion; Mabel L. Lockhart, aged 2, diptheria; Anna G. Barrere, aged 7, meningitis; C. F. Pugh, aged 10, accident; Rachel McGovern, aged 64, bronchitis; Isabella Kent, aged 77, old age; Francis Weiss, aged 3, scarletina; Mrs. M. Hauenstein, aged 45, heart trouble; Daniel Hanipin, aged 38, consumption; Marian Baker, aged 30, accident; John Koneder, aged 73, nephrities.

The Columbus Evening Dispatch, Wednesday, May 18, 1904
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson

Page 2


McCALLA—Venus Birdella, at the residence of her parents, rear of 406 McCoy street, Tuesday, May 17, 1904, aged 8 months, 7 days.

Funeral from the residence, Thursday, May 19, at 1:30 p. m. Friends invited. Interment at Green Lawn.

COBB—Raymond T., at the residence of his parents, 1261 Wesley avenue, Tuesday, 2 p. m., May 17, 1904, aged 26 years 8 months and 23 days.

Funeral from the late home Thursday, 1:30 p. m., May 19, 1904. Friends invited. Interment at Green Lawn.

McPHERSON—BRUCE [see below], at his late residence, 1279 Hunter avenue, 3:30 p. m., Tuesday, May 17, 1904, aged 24 years and 13 days.

Funeral from the late home, Friday, May 20, 1904, at 2 p. m. Interment at Green Lawn. Burial private.

GRIMSLEY—Jennie, wife of J. F. Grimsley, on Tuesday morning at 9 o'clock, at family home, 434 Wilson avenue, from accidental burns. Funeral Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock, (Standard); interment Green Lawn cemetery.

EBELING—Entered into rest on Thuesday morning, May 17, at 13 minutepast 1 o'clock, Franz Siegfried, only son of Mr. and Mrs. Hermann Ebeling, age two years and ten months.

Funeral from the residence 563 East Broad street on Friday morning at 10:30 standard. Friends invited. Burial private [Green Lawn].

POCOCK—Colonel Edgar J. [see below] at his residence in Worthington at 3 a. m. Wednesday, May 18, aged 65 years 3 months. Burial private at Green Lawn Friday, May 20.


Suicide Who Died With a Message of Love
on Her Lips, Had Not a Friend.

With evidently no one in the world to mourn her death, all that was mortal of Mrs. Louise Schmend [Schwend?], was tenderly laid to rest at Green Lawn cemetery, Monday afternoon. Not a friend, not a relative, none in face, except the undertaker and minister seemed to care what became of the remains of the woman whose dying words were those of love to a man whose whereabouts are unknown.

She was found dead in a South High stree room. Her mouth was burned from the drug that caused her death but, although friendless, she was given a decent burial. The funeral services were held at the R. E. Jones chapel, corner Third and Broad streets, late Wednesday afternoon. On the coffin a wreath of roses had been placed by Mr. Jones, and the corpse with the burns hidden from view, was dressed a burial robe.

With a congregation of several women who had been invited to attend, the services were conducted, under the auspices of the funeral director, by Rev. Mr. Huston assistant to the rector of Trinity church.

Page 5


Was Many Times Wounded In the Great Struggle.

His Military Career Did Not End With Lee's
Surrender—Something of His Life.

After years of suffering, Col. E[dgar] J. Pocock succumbed at three o'clock Wednesday morning, to the effects of wounds suffered in defense of his country during the civil war. He was wounded many times during the great struggle, from the effects of which he never recovered, and which eventually was the indirect cause of apoplexy. He suffered several strokes during the past winter, the last being on Sunday, March 13, while the colonel was walking in front of his home at Worthington. He was removed to Mt. Carmel hospital, but it being seen that there was no hope for his recovery, he was a few days later taken back to his home where a trained nurse had constant care of him, to make his last days as comfortable as possible.


During the latter days of his illness his mind frequently wandered and he fought over again thetrying days of 1861-1865, when bloody battlefields were his home. He suffered little, however, and the end was peaceful.


Colonel Pocock was born June 21, 1838, near Kenne, Coshocton county, O. of revolutionary stock.

The war caused him to change his plans for a life in the law. He enlisted September 10, 1861, as a soldier in Company H, 51st Ohio Volunteer infantry, whose colonel, the late Stanley Matthews, visited him several times at this Coshocton home later in life. He was appointed sergeant December 18, 1862; commissioned second lieutenant June 10, 1863, and first lieutenant January 6, 1865. The 51st regiment saw the hardest kind of service, and Colonel Pocock was with the regiment continuously, except when in hospital recovering from wounds, and for a portion of the Atlanta campaign when he served on the staff of General Whitaker.

In the battle of Resaca he received a severe gunshot wound in the right arm, the after effects of which nearly cost him his life. At Nashville he was hit in the left leg, a wound which never healed. At Stone River he was slightly wounded three times, and at Franklin when on staff his horse was killed under him. He commanded a company in the operations about Chattanooga, and in the battles of Chickamauga, where he had the right of a skirmish line, Mission Ridge and Lookout mountain. He participated in all of the seventeen battles and nearly all of the skirmishes in which his regiment was engaged.


Colonel Pocock was an enthusiastic military man after the war.

His regiment was on duty eleven days at the Cincinnati riot of 1884, being honored with orders to remain seven days after all other troops had been withdrawn. He was officially thanked for his service at this time by the governor of Ohio, the sheriff of Hamilton county, the mayor of Cincinnati, and the citizens' committee of one hundred.


In politics Colonel Pocock was a staunch Republican. In the stirring campaigns of a quarter of a century ago he frequently entertained at his home in Coshocton such men as John Sherman, Charles Foster, Stanley Matthews and others. He had been a resident of Columbus nearly twenty years, representing the Northwestern and later the New York Life Insurance companies. He was a member of the Loyal Legion, the G. A. R., having been past commander of the McCoy post Columbus, and of the Lanning post, Coshocton, the Columbus board of trade and the Coshocton Society of Columbus.


Colonel Pocock is survived by his widow and three daughters, Mrs. Harry P. Ward of Worthington, Mrs. Harry R. Jones of Canton and Mrs. Harry Wagstaff of Niles. Mrs. Pocock was the daughter of the late Judge Hunt of Millersburg, Ohio.

Arrangements for the funeral have been outlined, although not yet finally determined. It is expected that the remains will be placed upon a special C. D. & M. car at Worthington and conveyed to the mortuary chapel at Green Lawn, where services of a military character will be held. The Loyal Legion will have an active part in the services.


Young Railroad Man Dies of Malignant Typhoid Fever.

Bruce McPherson, son of the late Joseph McPherson, living on Hunter avenue, died Tuesday night after an illness of but one week with malignant typhoid fever, aged 26 years.

Mr. McPherson was born in Pittsburg, where he attended school. For some time he has been a clerk in the Columbus and Hocking Valley freight department, where he made many friends.

The deceased was a nephew of James Bruce, the prominent reailroad man. He leaves a mother and two sisters.

The funeral arrangements will be made later.

Page 10


Endeavored to Cross Directly in Front of It.

Was Lifeless When Picked Up;
Death Resulting From A Broken Neck.

Mrs. Lulu White, colored, aged about 30 years, met instant death shortly before 5 o'clock Tuesday evening, under the wheels of a C. D. & M. Interurban car, at stop 18, about six miles north of the city.


Mrs. White had called upon Mrs. R. G. Hutchins, who resides near the stop mentioned, for the purpose of securing employment, and had made satisfactory arrangements with that woman. Mrs. Hutchins had requested the woman to remain at the house and begin her employment immediately, but Mrs. White insisted upon going back to her room, at 126 East Noble street, to get her trunk and clothing, and left the Hutchins home, going direct to the stopping place for the car.


Just as the car neared the crossing, Mrs. White, after signalling it to stop, attempted to cross the tracks, evidently thinking she was on the wrong side. The car struck her before she had cleared the track, and she was thrown a distance of about 10 feet. The woman was lifeless when picked up, and her body was placed on the incoming car and taken to Gay and Third streets, from which point the patrol wagon removed it to the morgue. The car was in charge of Motorman Ziegler and Conductor Snyder.


Coroner Murphy, who made an examination, discovered that the woman's neck had been broken. The body of the woman was turned over to Under taker Adams on Tuesday night at the request of a son, who will arrange for its interment.

8 Mar 1907     9 Mar 1907     11 Mar 1907     12 Mar 1907

The Columbus Citizen, Friday, March 8, 1907
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson

page 1

D. H. [David Humphrey] Bard, 60, ex-mayor of Westerville, died of consumption Friday afternoon at his home in that village after a long illness. He leaves a wife, a daughter and an infant son.

page 2

After lying unconscious since Monday, Rev. J. G. Venneman, 73, for many years a priest of the Roman Catholic church, died at 8 o'clock Thursday night at the Rodebaugh sanatorium on Buttles avenue. The body will be taken to his old home in Evansville, Ind., Friday night for burial.

Father Venneman was born in Cincinnati and taught for a number of years in the Jesuit college in St. Louis. Later he became a pastor of various churches in Indiana and Ohio and for the past two years had been in charge of a church in Dayton. About a month ago he was brought to the sanatorium suffering with bulbar paralysis, which ultimately caused his death. He has two sisters and other relatives living in Evansville. The sisters were at the bedside at the time of his death.


Dr. S. S. Palmer, of the Broad Street Presbyterian church conducted the funeral services of the late Edwin R. Keating, 21, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas J. Keating, who died Wednesday at the family residence, 1317 East Broad street, at 2 o'clock Friday afternoon. Burial was made at Green Lawn in private. A large number of friends and relatives attended the serves at the home.


The funeral of the late Mary A. Aston, 83, who died at her home, 374 East Tompkins street, Wednesday noon, was held from the residence at 1 o'clock Friday afternoon. Interment was made at Green Lawn.


The funeral services for the late Bertha Florence Anderson, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Anderson, who died at the residence of her grandmother, Mrs. Emma Schultz, 801 Hamlet street, on Thursday, were held from the residence at 1:30 Friday afternoon. Burial was made in private at Green Lawn.


The funeral services for the late Hannah L. Niedlander, wife of Frederick W. Niedlander, who died Wednesday at her home in Cleveland, will be held Saturday afternoon at 1:30 from the residence of her father, David Martin, 1031 Atcheson street. Interment will be made in Green Lawn Cemetery.


Mrs. A. Diehl, formerly of Columbus, was found dead in bed at the home of her son, Luther Diehl, in Dayton Thursday. Funeral services will be held Saturday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. A. Stewart in Bucyrus. Besides these two children Mrs. Diehl was the mother of Mrs. Frank Strauser and Mrs. E. McClain of Columbus, Miss Anna Diehl of Dayton, and Mrs. A. Heiney of Mishawaka, Ind.

The Columbus Evening Dispatch, Friday, March 8, 1907, page 2
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson

She Was the Oldest Living Member of Wesley Chapel.

Mrs. Mary Aston, wife of the late Thomas F. Aston, who was connected with the Union station for many years, died Wednesday noon at the home of her son, James H. Aston, 374 East Tompkins street, at the age of 83 years.

She was the oldest living member of Wesley Chapel.

She is survived by one other son, C. H. Aston, of Santa Monica, Cal.


NIEDERLANDER--Hannah L. Martin, wife of Frederick W. Niederlander, Wednesday morning in Cleavland. Funeral services Saturday at 1:30 p. m. from the residence of her father, David Martin, 1031 Atcheson street. Friends invited.

LOUDENSLAGER--Mrs. L. W., at her residence, 236 N. 22nd St., Thursday March 7, 1907, at 2:15 p. m., age 19 years 11 mos, and 5 days, after an illness of tuberculosis; survived by husband, mother, Mrs. Bell Halliday, brother, Mr. Wm. H. Halliday, sister, Mrs. E. P. Mills of Palestine, Ills. Funeral at her late residence, 3 p. m., standard, Sunday. Friends invited.

WHITNEY--Hugh Hr., at the family residence, 695 Mt. Vernon Ave., Wednesday at 5:30 p. m., aged 27 years. Funeral at 8:30 Saturday morning from St. Patrick's church. Friends invited. Burial at Mt. Calvary.

The Columbus Evening Dispatch, Saturday, March 9, 1907, page 2
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson

Funeral Hugh Whitney.

The funeral of Hugh Whitney, Jr., was held from St. Patrick's church at 8:30 o'clock Saturday morning, with solemn requiem mass being celebrated by Rev. Father Rummag, O.P. Mrs. James T. Sheridan of the cathedral choir assisted in the singing of the mass and also rendered a solo as did Rev. Father Lawler, professor in St. Patrick's college. The floral offerings were many and beautiful. The burial was made in Calvary cemetery.


The wife, mother, brothers and sisters of Jacob Hart, who departed this life February 19, 1907, desire to extend their sincere thanks to all the friends and neighbors for their kind sympathy during their sad bereavement. We also thank the members of the B.C.I.C.B. and R.M. of A., No. 1 for their beautiful floral offerings and attendance at the obsequies.


THATCHER--John Thurn, 1008 Summit street, died Saturday morning, March 9, 1907, aged 48 years, 3 months and 16 days. Funeral from the residence Monday afternoon, March 11, 1907, at 2 o'clock. Friends invited. Interment Green Lawn.

WILLING--Wm. G., on Friday, March 8, at 12 o'clock midnight, aged 25 years. Funeral from his late residence, No. 404 South Zettler street, on Monday, March 11, at 1 p. m. Friends invited. Burial at Reynoldsburg, Ohio.

MAREY--John W., in Groveport, O., on Friday morning at 3 o'clock, aged 82 years and 22 days. Funeral at late home in Groveport, at 10 o'clock a. m., Sunday, sun time. Friends and acquaintances invited to attend. Interment at Green Lawn Cemetery.

TILLEY-- Mrs. Jane, at the advanced age of 76 years. She is survived by two sons, Frank of Lancaster, and David H., of Columbus. Funeral from her son's residence 531 East Starling street.

Death Follows Operation.

Mrs. F. A. Bucher, 48 years of age died at Mt. Carmel hospital Saturday afternoon as the result of an operation about a week ago for tumor. She is survived by a husband, F. A. Bucher of 1032 Madison street. Funeral services will take place from St. Joseph's cathedral at 9:30 Monday morning and the remains will be taken to St. Louis, her former home, for burial.

The Columbus Citizen, Saturday, March 9, 1907

page 5

Robert C. Georgi, deputy clerk of the United States court, Southern district of Ohio, well known in Columbus from having frequently been here when Federal court was in session, died at his home in Cincinnati early Saturday morning of heart trouble.

The late Mr. Georgi had been connected with the federal courts for the past 36 years and probably knew more attorneys than any other man in the state.


page 9

John W. Marcy, a veteran of the Mexican war, and for more than four score years a resident of Columbus, died at his home at Groveport Friday, after a shore illness. Funeral services will be conducted at his home Sunday afternoon and the remains will be brought to Columbus for interment in Green Lawn cemetery.

Mr. Marcy was born in Columbus, Feb. 14, 1825, in an old cabin on the site of the building now occupied by the Union Clothing company. The city at that time was a small village, and Hight street was only a country road.

In 1846, Mr. Marcy enlisted in the Mexican war and served until the close, when he returned to Columbus. He was one of the original members of the Old Fame Fire Engine company, a volunteer organization, and when a paid department was organized he was appointed driver of the first steam fire engine ever operated in Columbus, called the "Fire Fly."

Later in life Mr. Marcy became a member of the city police force. He retired from active live 20 years ago, but continued to make his home in Columbus until 1902, when he removed to Groveport.


After a brief illness from pneumonia, John Thurn Thatcher, 48, an employee of the N. & W. railroad, died Saturday morning at St. Anthony's hospital. The funeral will be held from the residence, 1008 Summit street, at 2 o'clock Monday afternoon. Burial will be made in Green Lawn cemetery. He is survived by a widow and two children--Mrs. D. C. Pennell and Miss Maude Thatcher.


Chan Tack, 33, a Chinese laundryman, was found dead on a cot in his laundry and home at 81 East Spring street, by Chin Lee, Saturday afternoon. Heart trouble caused death. He leaves a wife in China.

The Columbus Evening Dispatch, Monday, March 11, 1907, page 2
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson


BUCHER--Mrs. Frank A., age 48 years, sister of E. M. Schoenborn, at Mt. Carmel hospital, Saturday morning at 9 o'clock. Funeral service at St. joseph's cathedral, 5:30 Monday morning. Burial, St. Louis, Mo., Tuesday.

GUITNER--Mrs. Urilla C., at her residence, No. 1092 Franklin avenue, at 6:50 Sunday morning. Funeral services at the residence of President Lewis Bookwalter, Westerville, Ohio. Tuesday at 2 p. m.

DEWITT--Mrs. Clara, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Grace Osborn, 1081 North Fourth street on Saturday, March 9, at 2:30 p. m. Funeral at the residence of same on Tuesday at 1:30 p. m. Interment at Green Lawn. Burial private.

The Columbus Citizen, Monday, March 11, 1907, page 3


Mrs. Urillia C. Guitner, 85, died Sunday morning at her home, 1092 Franklin avenue. Funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon at the Bookwalter home in Westerville. Rev. Harvey C. Colburn, pastor of the Mayflower Congregational church, of which Mrs. Guitner was one of the oldest members, will officiate. Burial will be made at the Westerville [Otterbein] cemetery.

Mrs. Guitner came from a prominent Maryland family. Her husband, Dr. Daniel Guitner, died in Westerville over 35 years ago. She was the mother of six children--Miss Eugenia Guitner, professor of Greek at Wheaton college, Weaton, Ill.; Mrs. Bookwalter, wife of President Bookwalter of Otterbein university, Westerville; Mrs. Workman, wife of Thomas E. Workman, head of the Ohio Leather company; Miss Adelaide Guitner, with whom Mrs. Guitner lived in Columbus; the late John E. Guitner, for several years professor of Greek at Otterbein, and the late William O. Guitner of Columbus.


After a brief funeral service it St. Joseph's cathedral at 5:30 Monday morning, the body of the late Mary Bucher, wife of Frank A. Bucher and sister of E. M. Schoenborn, who died Saturday morning at mt. Carmel hospital, was taken to St. Louis for burial. Mr. Buchor is night clerk at the Hartman hotel.


J. Leon Fournier, 66, died at his home, 51 Maynard avenue, Sunday evening of asthma. Th funeral will be held Wednesday morning at 9:30 from the residence.


While attending a funeral at Prospect, O., Wednesday, Mrs. Rosanna Bell of Columbus was stricken with paralysis of the heart and died early Monday morning.

The Columbus Citizen, Tuesday, March 12, 1907, page 9


Mrs. Temperance Robinson Wood, 79 who died Sunday in Blendon township after an illness of only two days, was buried Monday near her old home. She is survived by only one relative, Mrs. Clover, who lives near Hilliard.

Mrs. Robinson [Sic.] was born in Delaware county in 1828 and was descended from the earliest pioneers of central Ohio. She removed to near Hilliard in 1850 and in 1862 married the late Henry Wood.


The funeral services of the late John Fournier, 66, who died Sunday evening, will be held from the residence, 51 W. Maynard avenue, at 9:30 Wednesday morning. Rev. G. T. Nichols, pastor of the North Congregational church, will officiate. Burial will be made in Union crematory. He is survived by a widow, a son, Leon C., and a daughter, Miss Marie L. Fournier.

1 Sep 1908     2 Sep 1908     3 Sep 1908
4 Sep 1908

Columbus Evening Dispatch, Tuesday, September 1, 1908
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson


Mrs. Huston, wife of William Huston, formerly owner of the Vendome hotel and enthusiastic auto tourist, died at her home on East Rich street at 1:30 o'clock Tuesday afternoon.

She had been ill for weeks and suffered intensely.  She was widely known among the older people of Columbus and had been a great traveler, accompanying her husband on a recent European auto trip.

She leaves beside her husband, one daughter, Mrs. James R. Thomas. No arrangements have been made for the funeral.


KNAPF--Sophia, died at Grant hospital at 7 p. m., August 31.  Funeral services will be held at the Second German M. E. church, Thursday, September 3, at 2 p. m.

HEINZ--Mrs. Adam, at the residence, 283 N. Monroe avenue. Tuesday, September 1, 1908, at 5:15 a. m., aged 45 years.  Funeral services Thursday at 1:30 p. m. at the residence.  Burial Green Lawn.

Columbus Evening Dispatch, Wednesday, September 2, 1908
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson


John Rowland, Widely Known Farmer,
Dies Suddenly of Neuralgia of Heart


Had Been in Westerville Just Few Hours Before--
Leaves two Sons.

John Rowland, one of the most widely known farmers of Franklin county, died almost instantly at his home a mile west of Westerville, at 4:30 Wednesday morning, of neuralgia of the heart.  He had been is Westerville on business during the previous day, and while he was not in the best of health, yet there had been no reason to believe that he was in a serious condition


Mr. Rowland did not long survive the death of his wife.  She passed away on the seventh of last May, and the loss of his life companion was a very severe blow to him and may have had something to do with the hastening of his own death.  He is survived by two sons, Hugh E. Rowland, of Cincinnati, formerly connected with the Columbus Business College, and Dr. Harry E. Rowland, of Mt. Perry, Ohio.  He was 68 years old.  No arrangements have as yet been made for the funeral.


I wish th thank my friends and Ralston Steel Car company and employes for the many floral offers and the kind sympathy shown at the death of my beloved wife, Mabel Augusta Ford. -- Loftus Ford and Family.


LANDON-- Mary J., widow of James Landon, formerly of Columbus, at Highland Falls, New York, died August 31, 1908.  Funeral services at residence of Mrs. A. Speaks, 111 West First avenue, 10 a. m., Thursday, September 3.  Friends invited.

HUSTON--Mrs. William, at the family residence, 208 East Rich street, Tuesday, September 1, 1908, 1:30 p. m.  Funeral services Thursday at 2 p. m.  Friends invited.  Burial private.

HEINZ--Mrs. Adam, at the residence, 283 N. Monroe avenue, Tuesday, September 1, 1903, at 5:15 a. m., aged 45 years.  Funeral services Thursday at 1:30 p. m. at the residence.  Burial Green Lawn.  Friends invited.

Columbus Evening Dispatch, Thursday, September 3, 1908
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson

Page 7

He is Unconscious When Found
and Dies in an Ambulance.


Was an Enthusiastic Fisherman and Was
Member of Several Clubs.

With a fractured skull, his right arm cut off and other injuries, but still breathing, John Bohlander, of 392 East Main street, was picked up at the North Hocking Valley bridge about 9 o'clock Wednesday night.  As he was being hurried to the hospital in the patrol wagon he breathed his last and the course of the wagon was changed to the morgue.


Bohlander is supposed to have been hit by a train.  He was unconscious when found at the side of the track by J. L. Doyle, G. F. Harvey and F. McNeill, switchmen, and did not regain consciousness.  The switchmen notified the police department and the wagon was sent on a hurry run to the scene.


The dead man was 50 years old and had been separated from his wife for some time.  He was formerly a member of the firm of Huber and Bohlander, plumbing contractors, who handled a number of large contracts in the city.  Of late years he has been in business by himself.  He is well known, especially on the South Side, as an enthusiastic fisherman and belonged to several fishing clubs.


Besides his widow, who lives at 266 South Grant avenue, the dead man leaves two sons, Herbert, a clerk and Oliver, who is attending Heidelberg university.

Columbus Evening Dispatch, Friday, September 4, 1908
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson


MARTIN--George W., at the Protestant hospital at 10:30 p. m. Thursday, September 3, 1908, age 36 years 10 months 8 days.  Funeral from his late residence, 1190 Perry street, 3 P. m. Saturday, September 5, 1908, Rev. E. Lee Howard officiating.  Friends invited.  Interment Green Lawn.

BREYFOGLE--Mrs. Harriet N., died Thursday, September 3.  Funeral from the residence of Mrs. E. M. Ferson, 254 East Town street, Saturday, September 5, at 2 p. m.  Burial private.

HARRINGTON--Gordon Moodie, died, age 25 years.  Funeral Saturday at 3 p. m. from the family residence, 300 Oak street.  Burial private.

McCANN--Emmett, died at St. Francis hospital, Thursday, September 2, 1908, at 4:50 p. m., aged 22 years 9 months and 4 days. Funeral services at the residence of his sister, Mrs. E. B. Rhodes [or F. B. Rhodes], 2233 West Broad street, Saturday, September 5, at 1 p. m. sun time.  Friends invited.  Burial private.  Interment at Reynoldsburg. (See related article below.)


FUNERAL SERVICES for E. M. Brunthaver will be held at the Edward E. Fisher company mortuary, 215 East Broad street, Saturday morning at 9:30.  Friends invited.

Page 2

Burned by Explosion of Gas in a
Manhole While Examining Electric Switch

Emmett McCann, of 2338½ West Broad street, who wa terribly burned in an explosion that occurred in the basement of the building on East Long street, formerly occupied by the Livingston Dry Goods company, Tuesday night, died about 5 o'clock thursday evening at St. Francis hospital.  He was examining an electric switch and a spark from the switch is thought to have ignited some escaping gas.  He leaves a widow but no children.  (See related Wednesday article.)

Page 2

Widow of Late Police Chief English,
of Delaware, Taken Without a Warning.

Mrs. Anna J. English, aged 50 years, widow of the late Patrick S. English, who was for many years chief of police of Delaware, died suddenly of heart diseases Thursday afternoon at her home at 357 Mrshall avenue.  Mrs. English was apparently in good health and ate a hearty meal at noon.  Mrs. English moved to Columbus in 1898, after the death of her husband.  She leaves five children: Anna. Grace, Emmet. Kathleen, and Patrick.  Funeral services will be held Saturday morning at St. Francis church.  Burial will be at Delaware.


The Columbus Citizen, Thursday, November 18, 1909
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson


Mrs. Elizabeth [Sic.] Wharton, 83, a pioneer resident, and member of a family that has long been known for wealth and position in Franklin county, died Thursday morning at her home [o]m Green Lawn avenue, near the Jackson pike.

The Wharton farm, southwest of the city, was the place of much entertainment before Mrs. Wharton's husband died. Since then she had been living alone with a servant at her home. Funeral services will probably be held Saturday.

NOTE: This notice is actually for MARY Miner Wharton.


Donald H. Bennett, infant child of Mr. and MRs. William Bennett, 1176 Michigan avenue, died Wednesday morning. Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at the residence. Burial at Green Lawn.


Funeral services for Charles J. Naddy, druggist, 397 East Eighteenth avenue, who died Monday, were held Thursday morning at S. Joseph's cathedral. Burial Mt. Calvary.

Funeral services for Mrs. Mary A. Johnson, who died Monday, were held Wednesday afternoon at the residence, 1070 Summit street. Burial at Green Lawn.

Funeral services for Mrs. Mary M. Dimitt, who died Tuesday, were held Thursday afternoon at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Ida A. Waterman, 646 Neil avenue. Burial at Green Lawn.

Funeral services for Mrs. John Gruebler, who died Tuesday, were held Thursday afternoon at the residence, 113 East Fulton street. Burial at Green Lawn.

The funeral services of Mrs. Helen Engleheart [Sic.], wife of Travis E. Englehart, who died suddenly at her home, 1149½ North High street, Wednesday morning, will be held Saturday morning at Sacred Heart church, and not on Friday, as was first arranged. Burial will be made at Green Lawn. Mrs. Englhart was a daughter of Mrs. Mary Millay, widow of Jamees Millay, a well-known Columbus resident.

The Columbus Citizen, Saturday, November 20, 1909
Transcribed by Leona L. Gustafson


John Franklin Henson, 48, well-known South Side grocer, died early Saturday morning at his residence, 77 Barthman avenue. He had been ill for nearly a year with bowel trouble, which necessitated his removal to the hospital several times. Mr. Henson has lived in Columbus 15 years and is survived by a wife and four children, four brothers, and four sisters. He was a member of the I. O. O. F., Woodmen of the World, Redmen and Fraternal Order of Eagles.

Funeral services will be held at 1:30 o'clock Monday afternoon at the residence. Burial at Green Lawn. (See Gravestone Photo)


Mrs. Alice Shower, 49, died Saturday morning at her residence, 120 East Livingston avenue. A daughter, Mrs. Alice C. Westerweller, survives. Funeral services will be held Tuesday. Burial at Green Lawn.


John Flowers, 75, carpenter, a pioneer resident of Columbus, died of heart failure Friday night at his residence, 35 Parsons abenue. A wife and five daughters survive. He was a member of McCoy Post, G. A. R.


Samuel W. Brown, 82, saddler, died of paralysis Saturday morning at the residence of his daughter, Mrs., Elmer Coffman, 1365 Hamlet street. Three daughters survive. Funeral servies will be held at 2 o:clock Sunday afternoon at the residence. Burial at Circleville.


George Gray, 62, laborer, died Saturday morning at his residence, 205 Clarendon avenue.


Martin James, 36, insurance agent, died of typhoid fever Saturday morning at his residence in Lazelle street. Funeral services will be held Monday at the residence.


Funeral services for Mrs. Helen Englehart, wife of Travis E. Englehart, who died Wednesday at her home, 1149½ North High street, were held Saturday morning at Sacred Heart church. Burial at Green Lawn.

Funeral services for Donald H. Bennett, infant child of Mr. and Mrs. William Bennett, who died Wednesday, were held Saturday afternoon at the residence, 116 Michigan avenue. Burial at Green Lawn.

Funeral services for George H. Dildine, who died Thursday, were held Saturday afternoon at the residence, 484 South Ogden avenue. Burial at Green Lawn.

Funeral services for Henry Brial, who died Thursday at his home on the Infirmary road, were held Saturday morning at the Obetz Lutheran church.

Funeral services for Frank Moler, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. W. V. Moler, who died Friday, were held Saturday afternoon at the residence on Parsons avenue. Burial at Green Lawn.


NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the .

Background & graphics by