Few taverns erected by the pioneers of Franklin County stand today. One of the rare survivors from the early days is the Griswold tavern in Worthington. The brick structure was created in 1811.
The original builder and owner was Ezra Griswold who had arrived on the present site of Worthington with his family, from Simbury, Connecticut, on October 26, 1803. They were thus the first of the Scioto Company to reach their destination. The journey Was made in a wagon drawn by oxen over almost impassable roads. Mr. Griswold erected a cabin and opened the first public house of entertainment soon after his arrival.
Mr. Griswold operated the tavern the remainder of his life, and at his death, October 2, 1822, his son, George H. Griswold, carried on the work. The Western Intelligencer, the first newspaper in Franklin County. now The Ohio State Journal, was started in a room in this tavern in 1811.
Shortly after the beginning of the War of 1812 a false alarm reached the frontier that the Indians were on the warpath and had Attacked a settler's cabin not far from Worthington. The alarm became general and soon settlers from farther north were pouring into Worthington. The Griswold Tavern was soon filled to overflowing. In a few Jays the excitement subsided, when it was ascertained that it was a false alarm, and the settlers returned to their homes.