This brick homestead, built by David Spangler in 1815, is probably the oldest establishment of any kind in Franklin County south of Columbus.
Mr. Spangler, with his family, emigrated about 1800 from Rockingham County, Virginia, to this site and built his log cabin near where the homestead now stands. He had a large family and the Spingler home was the scene of many social gatherings of the community and continued so for many years, reaching to the period of the residence of a grandson, W. T. Spangler, as late as the 1890's.
This sturdy pioneer worked with a restless energy in clearing the land and raising crops. After fifteen years of frugal living he was able to build the present homestead—-an imposing structure for its time and locale. For many years Mr. Spangler's farm had an important place in the community.
Mr. Spangler's neighbors were among the most hard-working farmers in the county. Among those who might be named were Joseph Fisher whose substantial homestead stood on the east bank of the Scioto River. Others were William Merion, Moses Merrill, William Stewart, Andrew Dill, Percival Adams, Thomas Morris, Samuel Riley, Jacob Plum and others, many of whom built imposing homes.