Early Franklin County Homesteads

Originally published in the Franklin County Historical Society Bulletin about 1950
Every effort has been made to locate any possible copyright holder; none has been located.
No copyright infringement is intended.


The fine mantels and fireplaces which complimented the interior of this
house have disappeared.

This story and a half brick house stands at 5439 N. High street, near stop 18. Abner Pinney, a Revolutionary soldier and a pioneer settler of Sharon Township, was granted a large tract of land where the house now stands. In 1842 Chester Pinney, a son, was the sole owner of the farm and it was at this time that the present brick structure came into being. The brick were kiln dried on the farm. The fine mantles and fireplaces which adorned the interior of :he house have entirely disappeared.

In 1863 Peter Ambos came into possession of the house and farm. The property remained in his hands until 1876 when he sold it to Samuel S. Pinney, probably the first dancing teacher in Franklin County. In 1891 Mr. Pinney sold his holdings to John J. Stoddart, father of the present owner, Attorney John C. Stoddart.

The first marriage performed in the new settlement of Worthington took place February 10. 1804, less than a year after the settlement was made. The persons united in marriage were Abner Pinney to Miss Polly Morrison. and Levi Pinney to Miss Charlotte Beach. The ceremony was performed by Thomas Stephens, Esquire, of Franklinton, in the log school house on the public square. Worthington. Abner and Levi Pinney were among the first settlers to arrive from Connecticut, where they were born, at the new settlement.



Resources | Photo Album
Family Group Sheets
County Links | What's New?

This site is owned & maintained by

© Leona L. Gustafson 2004-2017
All rights reserved.
All original content found on these pages is copyrighted by the submitter/author and all rights are reserved.