THIS township was set off and organized by its present name in 1809. It then comprised all of what is now Washington, all of Perry and Norwich, and part of Brown; and was composed of parts of the original townships of Franklin, Darby and Liberty. The first settlement in this township was commenced in the neighborhood of where Dublin now stands, about the year 1801 or 1802. Amongst the first settlers were old Mr. Ludwick Sells [Sic.], from Huntington County, Pennsylvania, and his family of sons, Samuel, Peter, Benjamin and William; the latter one of whom is still living, in the town of Dublin. An older brother John Sells, also removed into the same neighborhood in 1808 or 1809. In 1818, he laid out the town of Dublin, which soon became a pleasant and healthy village, and of late years a place of considerable business, with a population of some three or four hundred; a fair proportion of stores, taverns, and mechanics, and a good mill in the immedi-
ate vicinity. There are four churches in the town--Methodist, Presbyterian, Newlight and Christian--all have their church buildings. Beside the churches in town, there is a respectable German Lutheran Church within a mile or two of the village, erected within the last year. In the west part of the township the religious meetings are principally held in the school houses.
In 1855, the town was incorporated, and the borough government organized by the election of officers, etc.--Z. Hutchison, Esq., Mayor, and William Graham, Esq., Recorder. But after an experiment of one year, the citizens appearing to prefer a larger amount of liberty, declined holding further elections, and let the corporate organization go down.
In 1840, the population of this township was 843. In 1850, it was 1,282. In 1853, it contained eleven school districts, and 589 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, agreeably to the returns, there were only 511 of such youth.
There is but one post office in this township; that is in Dublin, established in 1820.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
|BACK TO INDEX||TABLE OF CONTENTS||NEXT|