THIS township was laid out and organized by its present name in 1813; but it then extended across the river, including what is now the south end of Perry. In the original division of the county into townships in 1803, what is now Norwich constituted a part of Franklin Township; and when Washington was set off that township, and so remained until 1813. There never was any village in this township until after the Columbus, Piqua and Indiana Railroad was established, and then the village of Hilliard was laid out in the fall of 1853, by John R. Hilliard . The place is generally known as "Hilliard's Station." It is quite a small village of probably a dozen families, two grocery stores, and a post office. The first post office in this township was established in the spring of 1852, as Smiley's
There is one grist mill and several saw mills in this township. The grist mill is on the Scioto, erected by Joseph Corban some twelve or fifteen years since. A saw mill at the same place had been erected by Samuel Wilcox, some years before. These are now known as "Howard's mills." There is a steam saw mill at Hilliard, and one or two others in the township.
Amongst the oldest residents of the township at this time are Benjamin Britton and family, William Armsted and family, Asa Davis, Asa Wilcox, John and Moses Hart, David Thomas, and some years after came Daniel Buck, Ezekiel Lattimer, David Smiley, Daniel D. Lattimer, and others.
The leading religious denominations in this township are Methodists and United Brethren. The Methodists have a church building called "Wesley Chapel," near the residence of David Smiley, Esq., and some two or three other preaching places in school houses. The United Brethren hold their meetings at Carter's school house.
In 1840, the population of this township was 731. In 1850, it was 1053. In 1853, it was divided into ten
school districts, and contained an aggregate of 460 youth between the ages of five and twenty-one years. In 1857, the aggregate of such youth was 491.
SUCCESSIVE JUSTICE OF THE PEACE.*
* When this township extended over the river—until 1820, there were three Justices; after 1820, there were but two, until 1851, when the number was again increased to three.
* 'Squire Saunders died Oct. 16, 1848, in the 58th year of his age. On his tomb stone is the rather singular inscription: "He died a Christian and a Democrat." [He is buried at Wesley Chapel Cemetery in the township--llg]
|BACK TO INDEX||TABLE OF CONTENTS||NEXT|