White Cemetery (also known as Britton Cemetery) is located about a half mile north of Trabue Road and slightly less than a quarter of a mile west of the Scioto River. The earliest stone that we found was for J__ Dobyns, who died Jan. 19, 1811 (see below). The cemetery is on property owned by Marble Cliff Quarry and is nearly impossible to find unless one of their representatives escorts you to the site. For all practical purposes the cemetery has been abandoned. We were allowed to photograph the few stones that we could find in early November, 2005. We hope to return someday in order to make rubbings of most of the stones and to try to locate additional readable stones. The photo above is an accurate view of the cemetery and when viewed in high resolution (366KB) a few stones can be seen through the trees. We found one stone that had been almost completely swallowed by large tree. The stone is being crushed by the pressure of the tree, though it looks like it would be fairly easy to read if the tree could be removed without further damage to the stone.
According to the plat map of the cemetery, drawn in 1925, there was space for 396 graves, though there may not have been that many burials. Records indicate that a veteran of the War of 1812, George Skidmore, is buried at the cemetery.
For additional views of the cemetery click on the following links:
Almost There | More Trees and Stones | Foundations | Footstone; WTF
Aerial Photo of Area
NOTE: Some of the high resolution photograph may take a little extra time to download for viewing, please, be patient.
NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the .
This beautiful background came from:
This site is owned and maintained by