Franklin County, Ohio
NOTE: This site is not affiliated with Groveport Cemetery in any way.
Groveport Cemetery, located on Wirt Road in the village of Groveport, was established in 1808. The graves that were originally located at Huddle Cemetery were moved to the Groveport Cemetery. The cemetery is cared for by the village, and seems to be part of the Groveport Heritage Park complex. Right next door to the cemetery is a renovated two story log house. According to the Ohio Historical Marker near the front of the house it was built ca. 1815 and was hidden under siding until 1974. Later moved from its original location it brings to mind the possibility that the original inhabitants are probably buried in the nearby cemetery.
The oldest inscription, according to George F. Bareis' 1902 History of Madison Township, is that of Catharine G. Bowman Richardson (see below). Her tombstone is unique in our experience. At first glance it seems to be typical of a toppled monolith style tombstone, but upon closer inspection it appears to be a stone replica of an old style coffin.
An interesting story about cemetery appeared in The Columbus Dispatch on March 22, 2009: Grave Errors Concern Groveport
Aerial Photo of Cemetery,
Most photos contributed by:
Gravestones: | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V |W | X | Y | Z | HOME
NOTE: Some photos are high resolution and may take longer to download for viewing.
An asterisk [*] indcates that the information was found in George F. Bareis, History of Madison Township, (1902).
- Andrews, Walter, Jan 10, 1889-Aug 17, 1944 and Effie M., Aug 3, 1890-Oct 2, 1978 [Old section Row 1 Graves 11 & 12]
- Axline, William P., 1880-1960; Stella J., his wife, 1881-1926; and W. Roscoe, 1912-1931
- Bobst, Sister, E. Vera, 1905-1938 (es)
- Bolton, Father, Arthur, 1883-1960; Mother, Ada M., 1886-1966; Son, Kenneth I., 1910-1937; and Son, A. Merlin [Arthur Merlin], 1912-1918 [New section, Lot 8, Graves 1-4]
- Botts, Vera Z., Jan 13, 1928-[blank], married Feb 5, 1944, Ronald J., May 17, 1922-Dec 29, 2003 [New section Lot 117 Graves 4 & 5]
- Champe, Alfarata O., 1863-1951
- Cherry, Infant son of O & L A, died March 20, 1877*
- Claffey, David, CO G, 76 OHIO INF, [13 Oct 1835-11 Jun 1912]
- Cothran, Margurite L., Apr 23, 1907-Aug 13, 2001
- Cunningham, Mattie M., 1873-1940 (Obituary)
- In memory of Henry T. Clark, son of Jessie & Elizabeth, Sept 13th, 1842-Nov 21, 1842, aged 2 months & 4 days (Whole stone)
- James D. L., son of Jesse & Elizabeth, died Oct 15, 1850, aged 6 yea's, 8 mon 26 ds
- Joseph, April 6, 1814-May 9, 1855, aged 41 years, 1 mon & 3 days (Whole stone)
- Orin & Mary E., son & daughter of Jesse & Elizabeth, died June 12, 1850, aged 2 years 5 months [and] aged 1 month & 5 days (Whole stone)
- Sarah E., daughter of Joseph & Susan, died Aug 2, 1853*, aged 1 year 5 mo & 5 ds
- Sarah E., daughter of Jesse & Elizabeth, died Oct 7, 1853, aged 1 year 7 m 19 ds (Whole stone)
- Susan, wife of Joseph, died 1855* aged 42 yrs*
- Dolby, Father, Harley E., 1894-1968 and Mother, Faith L., 1892-1904 [New section Lot 30 Graves 4 & 5]
- Downing, Mother, Margaret L., 1910-1972 [New section Lot 10 Grave 3]
- Giberson, James Henry, son of W & M, died June 17, 1843, aged 2 ds
- Harris, Wm. C., died May 26, 1852, aged 22 yrs 9 ms 23 ds
- Howell, Isaac W., son of J G & S, died Sept 5, 1854, aged 1 yr & 7 mo
- Jenkins, Luke V., died Aug 28, 1871, aged 22 yrs, 1 month, 17 days
- Johnson, Peggy Lou, 1936; Eva A., 1900-1937 and Clifford C., 1899-1953
- Lowry, Vernon E., 1880-1941, Mason and Nelle F., 1891-1971, OES [New section Lot 67 Graves 1 & 2]
- Mason, [Lulu, daut of Wm & Mary, died 1873, aged 2 months] and Grace L., daut of Wm & Mary, died Aug 28, 1875, aged 3 mo & 5 d
- McNutt, John R., May 5, 1907-June 7, 1962 and Ida M., Mar 18, 1902-Mar 21, 1998 [New section Lot 119 Graves 2 & 3]
- Montgomery, Jeanette L., 1927-1983 and John W., 1918-1979
- Jeanette was the daughter of Waaren & Ruth Rarey
- Morgan, Husband, Leonard C., 1901-1931 [New section Lot 119 Grave 1]
- Morris, James W., PVT, U S Army, Mar 2, 1937-Oct 6, 1996, "Deacon"
- Palsgrove, Altus M., Sept 8, 1876-April 3, 1858 and Estella J., Aug 17, 1877-Sept 17, 1955 [New section Lot 119 Graves 5 & 6]
- Pickett, Nathan, 1827-1911, 63 REG, OVI and Mary his wife, 1830-1920 [Old section, Row 1 Graves 28 & 29]
- Bradley, 1899-1901
- Charles D., 1861-1917 and Deaza, his wife, 1860-1947
- Charles was the son of Auter Back & Sarah (Hoshaw) Rarey.
- Deaza was the daughter of Samuel Socrates & Susanah (Schleich Senter.
- (All on one stone) Frederick, died July 4, 1870, aged 62 y 20 d; Ellen G., wife of F, died Oct 21, 1871, aged 60 yrs, 6 m 24 d; M. E., died Aug 23, 1864, aged 10 m 9 d and F. E., died July 23, 1868, aged 5 m dauts of F & E. G.; and R. V., died June 16, 1845, aged 3 ms 13 ds and J. C., died Sept 14, 1861, aged 13 yr 7 ms, sons of F & E G
- Broken, died May 23, 18__, aged 36 years, 4 m & 27 d and Mary E., died June 18, 1855, aged 28 ds
- It's possible that this stone is for mother and daughter as the adult death seems to have occurred just days after the birth of Mary E.
- Reeves, Hannah A., wife of P, died Jan 7, 1875, aged 34 years & 7 days, and Infant dau died May 3, 1867, Infant son, died Sept 6, 1869, children of P & H A (Whole stone)
- Reichard, Wife, Emily Minerva, 1880-1958 [New section Lot 23 Grave 2]
- Rhoades, William M., 1878-1939 and Mary Ann, Oct 7, 1876-July 18, 1931 [New section Lot 16, Graves 5 & 6]
- Richardson, Sacred to the memory of Catharine C., consort of John, MD, and daughter of Capt. Isaac Bowman, all natives of Shenandoah Co., Virginia, born Dec 23, 1787 and departed this life Jan 19, 1809, in the 23 year of her age (Whole stone)
- Rogers, Marion Kesia, 1854-1886
- Sandy, Marion, 1858-1934 and Ina (Sandy) Westerweller, 1860-19__ [New section Lot 22 Graves 1 & 2]
- Elsie Rarey notes that she has found no date of death for Ina Sandy Westerweller, nor is it certain that Ina is buried in the space reserved for her. All that is known for sure is that Marion and Ina were brother and sister.
- Sarber, Infant daughter of David & Mary C, died Feb 14, 1854
- Paul Junior, 1921-1930 [New section Lot 14 Grave 5]
- Pearl, son of W P & E C, died Sept 13, 1878, aged 5 yrs 10 ds
- Father, William, 1873-1965 and Mother, Rose, 1874-1954 [New section, Lot 6]
- Father, William Perry, 1847-1915 and Mother, Eliza Catherine, 1850-1930
- Shaffer, Infant dau of Moses & Sarah, died Sept 30, 1847
- Sims, Herbert W., 1899-1948 [New Section Lot 78 Grave 5]
- Charles M., son of E & A, died Aug 2, 1850, aged 3 ys 11 mo 5 ds
- Charlotte R., dau of E & A, died Oct 1, 1852 . . .
- Strode, Ella, April 1, 1862-Jan 25, 1944 [New section Lot 1 Grave 3]
- Trott, Claudia Bell, dau of J & A, died Sept 9, 1870, aged 2y 3m 23d
- Van Gundy
- Minnie E., died Dec 1951(Obituary; no photo)
- Sheridan and Elen, no dates [New section Lot 6 Graves 1 & 2]
- Wampler, Melvin J., PVT US Army, World War II, 1927-1986 [New section Lot 123 Grave 2]
- Westerweller, see Sandy
- Wilkes, Richard A., Jan 15, 1932-June 30, 1934 [New section Lot 93 Grave 4]
- Young, Francis Marion, son of John & Mary Ann, died 1858*, aged 17 yrs*
- Bert L., 1893-1920 [New section Lot 11 Grave 1]
- John L., died 6 Aug 1938 (Obituary; no photo)
- Unknown, In memory of Elizabeth, daughter of Wm. & Elisabeth