The Columbus City
Page Design © 2008 by David K. Gustafson
Content © 1985 by Donald M. Schlegel
(original on file)
History of the North Graveyard
expenditures of $50 for repairing the fence and replanting trees. This report also stated that "Nearly all the lots in the Grave yard have been disposed of - some are not yet paid for but the collection will be made shortly."11In light of all the deeds recorded for lots in later years, it is difficult to explain the statement that nearly all of the lots were disposed of. Nevertheless, based on this report the city council a short time later ordered the purchase of the land which became the city's second graveyard, on the present Livingston Avenue. When the new graveyard was opened it was designated the South Graveyard and the older site became the North Graveyard.
The appointments of sextons were made, along with those of other city officers, each April after the municipal elections had been held. John 0. Jones continued as sexton until 1837, when John Copcut was appointed; he served until 1841. Jones was again sexton from 1841 until 1843, when he was succeeded by Titus Richards. In 1844 James McDonald, who had served as sexton of the South Graveyard, was appointed sexton of the North Graveyard; he was reappointed each year from 1844 until the graveyard was closed.12
Another graveyard attendant was installed in 1839. The city council minutes of February 11 mention "reports of the graves in the old Grave yard having been frequently opened and the bodies stolen lately." A watchman was to be appointed by council to prevent such occurrences.13
Robert McCoy made another report as graveyard superintendent, apparently his first since 1838, on April 3, 1845. According to this report, the graveyard was a money-making proposition for the City in the early years, as it also proved to be at its end in the 1870's.