The Columbus City Graveyards
Page design 2008 by David K. Gustafson

Content 1985 by Donald M. Schlegel

Used with permission
(original on file)

The Franklinton Graveyard

feet, into the original Water Street right-of-way. The northern limit of the graveyard was established by 1846, when William S. Sullivant sold off the "mill property" there.2 The eastern boundary's early position is unclear, since the first description in a deed was not made until 1881.3 Some early maps show a road along the bank of the river next to the graveyard. The original graveyard seems to have embraced about two acres, whereas the present fence encloses about 1.6 acres.

The Franklinton Graveyard almost became church property at an early date. In 1811 the erection of a small, brick church on the property was begun through the generosity of Lucas Sullivant, for the First Presbyterian Church of Franklin County, which had been organized in Franklinton a few years earlier. On February 20, 1812 the First Presbyterian Society in Franklinton was incorporated by the state legislature.4 The only purpose of such an incorporation was to allow the society to hold real property, and thus it can be confidently inferred that the society intended to purchase the graveyard property, on which the new church was being built, before the next session of the legislature would meet in December of 1812. This intention was thwarted on that fateful day of June 18, 1812 when the sale of lots in the new town of Columbus was begun and war was declared on Great Britain. Franklinton became an important center of activities of the western army and the unfinished church in the graveyard was appropriated by the quartermaster's department for use as a granary


The above drawing, published in 1886, was probably based upon drawings exhibited in 1856 at the celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of the Presbyterian congregation. It shows the church in the Franklinton Graveyard, with tombstones to the east and north and muddy Water street in front.