Return to Main Page
THOMAS CORWIN TIPTON, M. D.,
of Williamsport, Deer Creek township, Pickaway county, Ohio, is a son of Thomas S. and Elizabeth Tipton, and was born at Pleasant Ridge farm, near Harrisburgh, Pleasant township, Franklin county, Ohio, on September 10, 1827. He attended the neighborhood schools until his education had reached a point beyond which they could not afford him instruction, and then, in 1844, went to Delaware and attended the Ohio Wesleyan university; he was obliged to pay his own way, and did so by teaching in various district schools. Thus, creditably but with difficulty, he worked his way fro five years, and, being eager to learn, and applying himself closely to study as only those can who so dearly buy what many, who have superior advantages, scorn, he acquired a good, thorough, general education. But he had an ambition beyond this, and a desire to lead a professional life. Disadvantages were again in his way, but he overcame them. He was unable at once to begin, as he would have desired, a course in some medical college, but, while gaining a subsistence by teaching, he devoted his spare time to reading and study in his brother's office, at Darbyville. He continued in this way for several years, and, at length, was able to go to Columbus, where he had enlarged opportunities. He studied there under Dr. R. L. Howard, and entered the Starling medical college. He graduated from this excellent institution February 22, 1852, receiving, in addition to his diploma, the unanimous vote of approval of the faculty. After his graduation Dr. Tipton returned to Darbyville and went into practice as a partner of his brother. Some time after that he removed to Williamsport, his present residence, and established himself in a lucrative practice, which has been uninterrupted except by his absence during the war, and three years thereafter. In 1862 the doctor went into the army as assistant surgeon of the One Hundred and Thirteenth regiment of Ohio Volunteer infantry, and remained in that capacity in the service until the close of the war, most of the time being, by the order of Secretary Stanton, detached from his regiment, discharging hospital duty and serving upon the board of examiners of applicants for enlistment or discharge. Upon the close of the war the subject of our sketch resolved to try his fortune professionally in Groveport, Franklin county; he remained there only about three years, and then removed to his old residence, Williamsport.
NOTICE: This electronic page may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the .