Return to Main Page
The subject of this sketch, Aaron Teegardin, was born in Franklin township, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, February 23, 1810. When about one year of age, his father emigrated, with his family, to Ohio, arriving in Madison township, in April, of that year. His father was George Teegardin, and his mother Christine Brobst Teegardin. On their arrival, Mr. Teegardin located his family on one hundred and sixty acres of land, in section twenty-three. The children of George Teegardin were Barbara, John, Ann, Aaron, and Mary.
Aaron Teegardin, when a boy, attended such schools as the country then afforded, they being sustained by private subscription. His school education was necessarily very limited, and was mostly confined to a few months during the winter, after he became of an age when his help in the necessary work of the farm was valuable. He worked hard, as did even the boys, in those days, at log-rollings, raisings, clearing the forest, and raising the necessary food for subsistence, his only recreation being fox hunting, in the winter, and such gatherings of the young people of the neighborhood as took place.
In March, 1833, he was married to Sarah Hoy. After marriage they moved into a hewed-log house, which still stands near their present residence. Here they lived, and here were their children born, who were as follows: Ephraim, who was born December 27, 1834, and was married to Nancy Sharp, and now lives in Miami county, Indiana; Mahala remains at home; Henry was born April 16, 1841 and died in August, 1863, at Boise City, on the western slope of the Rocky mountains, where he had gone in search of his fortune in the gold mines; John married Harriet Hoffhine, and lives on section thirty-one; Mary lives at home; Augustus owns property in section seventeen, but lives at home; George Philip married Amelia Hoffhine, and lives on the home farm; Levi married Rosetta Phleeger, and lives on the home farm; one child, the second, died in infancy.
In 1850 they built their present substantial farm dwelling, near the log house that had so long been their home. A representation of the home, together with portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Teegardin, appear in connection with this sketch.
Mr. Teegardin was, for more than twenty years, a trustee of his township. During that time the old State militia law was in force, he held the offices of lieutenant, captain, and major, in that organization, serving in these different offices some eight or ten years. He also held the office of justice of the peace from 1844 to 1847.
He has filled a father's place in his care for the orphaned children of his brothers and sisters, all of whom are now grown to manhood and womanhood.