Background, page design, and transcription format 2003 - 2009 Leona L. Gustafson

Return to Main Page

Page 482


in early settler, one mile south of Westerville, now deceased, was born in Romney, Virginia, December 12, 1804. His father, William Schrock, was a native of Winchester, in the same State, but was of Irish descent. While still young, he removed from Winchester to Romney, where he resided sixty years, and pursued the trade of a hatter, removing finally to Ohio, with his son, George, and dying at his house in Blendon township, December 21, 1848. The mother's maiden name was Jane Means. Her family was of Dutch origin, but she was born in New Creek, Virginia. George was brought up mainly in the family of his elder brother, Perez, with whom he learned the weaving trade, which he followed at intervals, afterwards. For some time after his majority he was also a flat boatman on the south branch of the Potomac, and engaged casually in various other labors. September 27, 1832, he was joined in marriage with Miss Rachel V. Inskip, also a native of New Creek, born there December 4, 1811. Upon the subsequent removal of the family to Ohio, she rode on horseback with the emigrating party all the way from her birth-place to the new home. From their union sprang a large family, five sons and five daughters, of whom seven are now living, namely, in the order of seniority: James, a bachelor, still residing upon the old place, near Westerville; Sarah J., now Mrs. Edward Nobles, of Washington county, Missouri; William, a farmer, in Sharon township, two miles from Westerville; Melissa, now Mrs. Benjamin F. Moody, also near Westerville; Vause, residing three miles south of the same place; Clara Arabell, at the old home; and Alfred Taylor, owner of the homestead, at which he now resides. Another son, George W. Shrock, jr., was a soldier in the Ninety-fifth Ohio volunteer infantry, during the war of the Rebellion, was wounded at the battle in front of Spanish fort, Mobile bay (the last fight of the Rebellion), April 8, 1865, and died of his wound seventeen days afterwards, in the United States general hospital, at New Orleans.

The place near Westerville, now occupied by three of his descendants, is the one first settled by Mr. Shrock, and mostly cleared up by him, upon his removal to Blendon township, about 1840. Here he resided until his death, on Christmas day, 1877, his venerable wife surviving until September 2, 1879. He was long a member and officer of the Presbyterian church, in Westerville, lived in peace with all the world, and died much lamented by the community among whom he had so long lived and labored.


NOTICE: This electronic page may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the .