John W. Lane, with his wife and three small children, emigrated from Albemarle county, Virginia, to Ohio in 1831. The only start Mr. Lane had in the new country was the team and wagon which constituted the moving outfit, and about ninety dollars in money. Then came to Scioto township, Pickaway county, and settled on land belonging to Mr. Shaw. Mr. Lane worked Shaw's land two years, and then bought of him a tract of ninety acres, a mile north of his first location. This land he cleared and improved, and now occupies. Four children were born to them after their settlement, making a family of seven children, as follows: William F., Sarah V., John Monroe, Lucy Ann, James, David A., and one who died in infancy. Mr. Lane was so unfortunate as to contract the small-pox, in Columbus. The disease was brought home by him, and every member of the family contracted it. He recovered, but his son, John Monroe, and an infant child, died.
William F., the oldest of the family, is now dead. Sarah V. married Samuel Shaw, and now lives in Christian county, Illinois. Lucy Ann married Harrison Haywood; he died, and after remaining a widow ten years, she married James Corey, and now lives in Franklin county. James married Lucinda Wheeler, in 1858, by whom he had six children. She died in May, 1870, leaving him with a family of small children, and no one to care for them but himself. In December, 1870, he married Martha Wheeler, a sister of his deceased wife, by whom he has one child. When he was first married, in 1858, he settled on a part of his father's farm, where he cleared forty-five acres. He remained there some seven years, but worked at farming only about four years, when his health became poor, and he was obliged to give up hard labor. He then commenced dealing in horses, buying and selling, for use in the army. He continued at this about a year, and accumulated a little property, which he invested in hogs and cattle. He has continued in that business since that time (1863). In 1865, when the price of almost every article declined, and a general panic cam one, he lost a large amount of money. During the months of November and December, 1865, and January, 1866, he lost ten thousand dollars. For a few months he was much discouraged, but, finally, he found he had many friends, who would stand by him in his adversity, and his courage revived. He again engaged in the stock business, with greater energy than ever before. In eighteen months after he started in business a second time, he had paid all his liabilities and was on his feet. Since that time he has sometimes lost money, but in the main has gained. In March, 1865, he bought his present farm, of eighty-five acres, a half mile north of Commercial Point, to which he has added, from time to time, until he now has three hundred and eighty-seven acres. When he purchased the land, a part of his present frame house stood on it. He enlarged and built to it until now he has a pleasant home. He has provided convenient and ample barns and out buildings for his business, and his fences and all his surroundings reflect credit on a farmer who makes a specialty of keeping everything in order. An engraving representing his premises, accompanies this sketch. The children of James Lane are: Benjamin F., John W., Emma J., James Edwin, William A., Horatio N., and Harry H.
David A., a son of John Lane lives half a mile west of Commercial Point.
John Lane, when a young man, and living in Virginia, served eight or nine months in the army, during the war of 1812. He is the only survivor of the war of 1812 not living (1879) in Scioto township.