Return to Main Page
Hamilton township is within the, so-called, Congress lands, and is bounded on the north by Marion township, on the south by Pickaway county, and on the east by the Scioto river. In the original division of Franklin county into townships, Hamilton was embraced in Liberty and Harrison townships. The township was organized under its present name in 1807. It then contained within its limits the territory now constituting Madison township. In the formation of the township of Marion in 1873, the two northern tiers of sections in Hamilton were detached and included in the new township.
SURFACE, SOIL AND STREAMS.
The township, for the most part, is quite level, the most rolling land lying in the western part, along the Chillicothe pike. In the quality of its soil, the township is probably not equaled by any other in the county, the soil being largely of a limestone nature, except in the vicinity of the Scioto river, where there is bottom land.
The principal and only stream, worthy of the description, within the township, is the Gahanna river, commonly called Big Walnut creek, a large eastern branch of the Scioto. It rises in the northeastern part of Delaware county, and after running a southern course for about forty miles, into the southeast part of Franklin county, receives a stream from the east called Black lick, and just below Alum creek from the west. It enters Hamilton and Madison townships, in section twenty-four, flows a very tortuous course through the township, leaving it in the southwest corner.
The township contains a number of mounds, or earthworks—the only records of the existence of a former race. On the west bank of Gahanna river, in section thirty-four, on an elevated piece of land, are the remains of an ancient fort, or ditch, which has been almost completely obliterated by the cultivation of the soil. Nearly a mile east of this, on the farm of Thomas M. Clark, are tow mounds, situated about a quarter of a mile apart, the larger of which is round in shape, and the smaller oblong. These mounds have been dug into to some extent, and implements and human bones were found. There are several other mounds, in different portions of the township, but they do not essentially differ from those already mentioned.
A BEAR HUNT.
All kinds of wild animals were very plentiful in the early settlement of the township, although bears may be said to have been scarce; sufficiently so to make their hunt exciting. About the year 1818, an old bear was seen, by Jacob Hamler, preparing to make a meal of one of George Rohor's hogs, a short distance from his house. Hamler ran over to Mr. Rohor's, where there were several men at the time, and informed him of the circumstance. Armed with guns and axes, and accompanied by a couple of dogs, the men started in pursuit of the animal, which the dogs soon overtook, and a running fight ensued, for about a mile, when old bruin ran up a large black oak tree. By the time the men arrived it had become too dark to shoot accurately, and, at length, a bonfire was built up, by the light of which the hunters poured a volley of bullets into the animal. The tree was cut down, after firing a number of times, when the bear was found to be dead, having lodged in the fork of the tree, with sixteen bullet holes in his body. He was taken home, and a barbecue made of him the next day.
A man by the name of Gordon killed, just over the river, in Jackson township, three bears in one day—an old she bear and two cubs.
The first settler was, probably, John Dill, who came from York county, Pennsylvania, about the year 1800, and entered twelve hundred acres of land in the northwest part of the township, residing first in Franklinton, where he was one of the first settlers. He soon afterwards sold the half of the tract to Michael Fisher. He lived on the bank of the river, and his old log house is yet standing and is now occupied by Edward Fisher. Dill was an early justice of the township. His life was cut short by accident. While riding in company with Judge Flannigan, he was thrown from his horse by a mis-step of the animal, and sustained an injury to his head, which caused his death a few hours after. His wife survived him. They were both buried in the old Franklinton graveyard, but there is nothing to mark their resting place. They had no children.
Michael Fisher settled in the same vicinity soon after John Dill. He was a native of Hardy county, Virginia, and was born September 15, 1767. After his marriage to Sarah Petty, he resided in Kentucky one year, when he moved to Ohio, some time prior to 1800. He purchased a military claim of about eight hundred acres, just west of the river, in Franklin and Jackson townships, and located in the bend of the river. He lived there a year or two, and they sold a part of his land, and bought six hundred acres of John Dill, and moved into this township. He built on the bank of the river, on the Chillicothe road, as it then run [sic.].He had a saw-mill there at an early day, which was demolished when the canal was built. Mr. Fisher wa also an early justice of the peace in Hamilton. He died in this township, january 15, 1824 and his wife [died] January 2, 1843.
Ferguson Morehead, originally from Pennsylvania, came to Ohio from Kentucky with his mother and a brother. In 1806 he married Jane Williams, and settled on the Scioto river south of David Spangler's. He died there about the year 1846, and his wife in 1825. Mrs. Maria Holmes, now living in this township with her son, Isaac Holmes, was there oldest child. She was born October 1, 1807, in the cabin on the bank of the river, and was rocked in a sap-trough cradle. She married Isaac Holmes September 6, 1827, and spent her married life in Harrison township, Pickaway county.
George W. Williams came from Maryland in the spring of 1805, and located in Franklinton. A year afterward he moved into Hamilton, and settled where his son, David, now lives, section eleven, now Marion township. He opened a tavern on the Groveport road, in 1812, which at the time was the principal stopping place between Middletown, now Oregon, in Madison township, and Franklinton. Mr. Williams kept tavern there until his death, in 1829. His wife survived him many years, and died at the age of over eighty. They were the parents of twelve children, four of whom survive, viz.:
George W. Williams, living in this township; Eli, in Mifflin; Mrs. Mary Earhart, in Columbus; and David, in Marion township. The first named was born in Hamilton, in 1809, and is, without doubt, the oldest inhabitant of Hamilton, who was born in the township. He married Laura Ann Moore, whose father, Simeon Moore, jr., was an early pioneer of Blendon township.
John Weatherington came into the township in 1805, with his son-in-law, George W. Williams. He entered a part of section seventeen, and resided there until his death. His sons, Isaac, John, William, all settled in the township. his daughter, Rebecca, was the wife of Mr. Williams, and two other daughters—Margaret and Comfort, married, respectively, John and Josiah Williams, brothers of George W. Williams, sr.
James and Andrew Culbertson joined the settlement about this time; also, Robert Shannon, and his sons, Samuel, Hugh, James, John, Joseph, and William.
John Huff came in with Emmer Cox (who settled in Madison township), in the year 1807. He settled where Amos Culp now lives, in section twelve, and died on that place at an advanced age. He was a Revolutionary soldier.
Henry Hornbaker was an early settler, in the southeast quarter of section thirty-six, and Thomas Swan, in the northeast quarter of the same section. Swan sold out, in 1818, to Mathias Wolf, and went west.
The Sullivants—Thomas, William, and James—settled, at an early day, on a portion of section thirty-six. They bought no land, but took a lease, at the expiration of which, they moved out of the county.
Zebulon Gray came from Maryland, at an early day, and a family, by the name of German, came at the same time. Gray and George German, moved to Indiana. Jesse German was a resident of Hamilton until his death, and some of his children now reside here.
William Thomas was an early occupant of section thirty-six, not far from where William Rohr now lives. he removed to Indiana, and died there.
The Lamberts settled, quite early, on the farm now owned and occupied by Thomas M. Clark, the northwest quarter of section thirty-five. The father and mother both died there. Town of he sons moved west.
John Wolf was an early settler on the farm now occupied by his son-in-law, Timothy Sherman, and died, only a few years since, at the age of nearly ninety.
George Hays located, at an early date, in section twenty-four, and occupied, as a renter, the farm now owned by Harvey Lisle.
Levi Shinn was an early pioneer of Hamilton, and settled in section thirty-four.
In 1809, Samuel Pursel came to Ohio, from near Brownsville, Pennsylvania, a town on the Monongahela river. Shortly after coming, he was married to Nancy O'Harra, whose parents were pioneers of the old town of Franklinton, and located in Hamilton, a short distance south of where Ress' station now is. Subsequently, he settled in the west part of the township, on the Chillicothe road, where he lived until his death, which occurred in the year 1844. Mr. Pursel was a volunteer in the war of 1812, and assisted in building the blockhouses at Upper Sandusky. he was an expert hunter, and, during the early years of his settlement, killed a great many deer, wild turkeys, and smaller game, which, as was the custom among the pioneers, he divided with his neighbors. Ten children were born to him. Mrs. Harriet Stimmel, now residing in this township, was the eldest, and was born in this township, in March, 1811. She became the wife of Yost Stimmel (now deceased), son of Michael Stimmel. Mrs. Stimmel has three children: Mrs. John R. Cook, in Columbus; John, in this township, and Smith Stimmel, an attorney-at-law in Cincinnati. She has buried four.
Asa Dunn, from New Jersey, was an early settler near where Shadeville now stands, on the bank of the river. He had a distillery and a small corn -mill on the river.
Michael Stimmel, with his wife and two children, came from Hampshire county, Virginia, in 1810. The made the journey on horseback, the father carrying one of the children and the mother the other, who was then about a year old. Mr. Stimmel located first on the farm of William Renick, in Pickaway county, where he remained for a year or two, when he came to Franklin county, and settled in this township, on the farm now owned by the family of Thomas Johnson, jr. He was a blacksmith by trade, and kept a shop there. This farm he occupied about seven years, and then purchased and settled on the farm now owned and occupied by John Stimmel, his son, where he spent the remainder of his life, dying there in the spring of 1859. Peter, Daniel, and Jacob, brothers of Michael Stimmel, came out afterward, and married and settled in this county—Peter and Daniel in Hamilton, and Jacob in Franklin township. They are all now deceased.
John Shoaf, and family, consisting of his wife and ten children: John Plum, wife, and daughter, and Samuel Riley, moved in together from Hard county, Virginia, on the south branch of the Potomac river, in the fall of 1812. Henry and Jacob Plum had arrived some time before this. Shoaf and family spent the following winter in a cabin of Andrew Culbertson, and in the spring located near the present site of Lockbourne. Some eighteen months afterward, he made a trip to Virginia, during which he contracted a cold, and died soon after returning to Ohio, in the spring of 1814. Of this large family, John, living in Hamilton, is the only survivor.
John Plum settled where William Riley now resides, in section fifteen. He purchased there two hundred acres of land, and also a farm in the vicinity of Lockbourne. He lived but a few years after his settlement, but his wife lived until the age of ninety-five.
Samuel Riley was single when he came to Ohio, but afterwards he married Susan, daughter of John Plum, and occupied the place on which her parents settled.
David Williams came from near Morefield, Hardy county, Virginia, and in connection with his brother, Abraham, who lived in Chillicothe, located some seven hundred acres of land in the southwest part of the township. April 23, 1811, he married Margaret Kerns, and settled on the land he had purchased, first occupying a
cabin a short distance south of Mrs. Catharine Williams' present residence. He afterwards built a brick house on the same location. The frame house now occupied by Mrs. Williams, he erected fifty-four years ago, and occupied it until his death in 1834. His wife died in May, 1840. They had nine children—Abraham, Mary, Abner K., David, Rebecca H., William, Benjamin, Isaac, and Sarah E., all now deceased, except Mary, wife of Felix Renick, of Pickaway county, and Rebecca, who married P. L. Howlett, and is now living near Springfield Illinois. Abner K. lived in this township, where his son, David now lives; and David, near Lockbourne, on the place occupied now by his family; William married Mrs. Nancy McKinley, and after her death, Mary Williams, widow of his brother, Abner K.; she now lives in Shadeville; Benjamin was married to Catherine Wright, of Missouri—she still occupies the old homestead of David Williams, sr.; Sarah E. was the wife of Seymour Renick.
Mathias Wolf and family moved into the township in 1812. He settled in section twenty-six, and lived there until his death, in March, 1849, aged fifty years. His wife survived him ten years. They had but one child—a daughter, who became the wife of William Rohr.
Frederick Stombaugh, with his wife and six children, came from Pennsylvania during the war of 1812. He settled on the place now occupied by Dr. Blish, on the Lancaster pike, and died there about 1849 or 1850. His wife died previous to that date. They raised a family of six children, of whom there are living: Samuel, who lives in Iowa; Frederick, who lives north of Columbus; and Elizabeth, widow of George W. McCloud, who lives in Marion township. Mrs. McCloud is no seventy years of age.
Jacob Shook came from Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, with his father, Philip Shook, in 1812. His father, with his family, settled in Madison township, Pickaway county, where Abraham Shook now lives and resided there until his death. Jacob Shook, in 1817, married Judeth [Sic.] Glick, who came to Fairfield county with her parents in 1808. Mr. Shook settled about a mile north of his father, on forty acres of land, on the south part of the tract now owned by Z. H. Perrill. In 1822 he came into this township, but remained only two years, when he returned to his former place of residence, in Pickaway county. In 1828 he erected a saw-mill on Slate run, in Madison township, Pickaway county, the race for which he was five years completing. In the spring of 1849, he removed to this township, and located on the south east quarter of section twelve, which had previously been purchased by his sons, Elias and Jeremiah. He died there in 1860, at the age of seventy years. His wife died in March, 1879, at the residence of her son, Elias Shook, at the age of nearly eighty-one. They had six children, of whom Elias is the only survivor. In 1859, the later married Rebecca, daughter of Henry Allspaugh, and occupied the place on which his father had resided until about eighteen years ago, when he moved to the farm on which he now resides, at Lockbourne.
George Klickenger came from New Jersey about 1820. He stopped in Franklinton for about six months, when he purchased eighty acres in the northeast quarter of section eleven. He died there some twenty years ago. He had nine children, all of whom were born in New Jersey, but the youngest, John B., living on the old homestead, and Mrs. Jasper Berger, in Iowa, are the only surviving members of the family.
Aldredge Watkins, a native of Massachusetts, came to Ohio from Ontario county, New York, arriving in the township, July 4, 1822. He first located in section two, but subsequently moved to section twelve, where he lived for some time; finally settling where his son O. A., now resides. He died in March, 1849. Much of his life was spent in work at jobs on the roads, on the canal, and the streets of Columbus. He was the father of seven children, four of whom are now living, viz: Philo B. and Quincey A., who are among the substantial farmers of Marion township; Madaline, widow of Capt. Morrison, in Columbus, and Emeline, wife of Philomel M. Gray, in Scioto township, Pickaway county. The mother, now in the seventy-eighth year of her age, lives with her son, Quincey A.
Alexander Harrison, then a boy twelve years of age, came with his parents to Ohio from near Winchester, Virginia, in 1802. They settled at Lancaster, Fairfield county, where, January 6, 1813, he married Nancy Strode, who came to the same vicinity from Berkeley county, Virginia, in 1806. Mr. Harrison came to Hamilton in 1829, and settled in the southwest quarter of section one. He was a carpenter by trade, and worked on the canal, in the construction of locks, for about three years. He died in this township December 6, 1853, aged eighty-three. His wife died November 24, 1857. There were three children: William H., the only one now living, married in 1846, Mary Kiger, who died about two years after marriage. Mr. Harrison has resided in the section where he now lives continuously since 1829. March 4, 1852, he married Susannah Gushart, with whom he now lives.
Alexander Harrison, sr., was a Revolutionary soldier, serving through almost the entire war, and was in several important engagements. he was a guard at Independence Hall, Philadelphia, when the Declaration of Independence was read.
Samuel Ranck has been a resident of this township about forty years. He was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, in 1811, and emigrated to Ross county, Ohio in 1834. The next year he came to Franklin county, and resided in Madison township nearly five years, when he moved to Hamilton.
Joshua Betts settled , were Shadeville now stands, in February, 1834. He married, in the spring of 1835, Catharine Lilley, and kept, for several years, a boarding house in a cabin that stood on the site of the present residence of Mrs. Seeds. He located, where he now lives, in 1844.
The first birth in the township was that of Maximilla Fisher, daughter of Michael and Sarah Fisher, who was born September 20, 1800. When this event occurred, the parents were residing on the banks of the Scioto. Miss
Fisher became the wife of Arthur O'Harra. There were some very early burials in the Walnut Hill burying ground, but the graves have now no mark to designate their locations. The oldest inscription in the graveyard is on the tombstone of John Hornbaker, who was buried there in February, 1811. In July of the same year, his son, Henry, was also buried there. The same year also, the wife of William Thomas was deposited there. The first road laid out in the township was the old Franklin and Chillicothe road, which then run a different course from that which the pike now does. On the old road, on the farm now occupied by Timothy Sherman, the first tavern in the township was kept by James Culbertson. The next tavern was that of George W. Williams, previously mentioned.
The earliest schools were kept in private cabins, and were supported by subscription. The first school was kept in an unoccupied log cabin, on the farm of Thomas Johnson. John Lusk and Samuel Clark were among the earliest teachers. The first school-house in the township was erected in the Stombaugh neighborhood, on the back part of the Stewart farm. One of the first teachers here was a man by the name of Goodnough. Andrew Armstrong and Ellen Toppin were also early teachers. A school-house was built, at an early date, on the John Thompson farm. The first school-house at Lockbourne was a log building, and stood at the upper end of the town, nearly opposite the residence of William Manypenny. The first school in the vicinity of Shadeville was taught in a log school-house, near the present bridge at the intersection of the pike and canal.
THE LUTHERAN CHURCH.
In the year 1812, Rev. M. Foster, a minister of the Evangelical Lutheran denomination, was invited by members of the Reformed and Lutheran denomination, residing in Hamilton, to come and preach to them, which request was complied with, and Mr. Foster continued to preach for them for two years, holding meetings generally in dwelling houses. An organization was formed with the following membership: Philip Helsel, G. Kissinger, John Sharp, Jacob Plum, Michael Stimmel, Nicholas young, Frederick Stombaugh, and others. Philip Helsel and G. Kissinger were chosen elders, and Michael Stimmel and Nicholas Young, wardens. The second minister was Charles Henkel, who began his labors in 1819, and remained six or seven years. In 1821 a log meeting-house was built, and the society incorporated under the name of "The German Lutheran and Reformed congregation of the township of Hamilton." Prof. William Smith, of the Columbus Lutheran seminary, succeeded Mr. Henkel, commencing in 1831, and continuing four years. Rev. Mr. Pence was the next pastor, and remained until the spring of 1842. He was followed by Philip Gast, under whom, in 1844, a new brick church was built. the successive pastors since Mr. Gast, are as follows: Rev. Mr. Speilman, Rev. Daniel Worley, Rev. Mr. Schultze, and Rev. E. Schmid, who is still in charge, having ben pastor since 1863. The new church building was erected in 1873, costing about nine thousand dollars, and was dedicated June 7th, of the following year. The church consists of two divisions constituting one congregation. The society is large and prosperous, the actual membership being three hundred in the English division, and seventy in the German. The pastor preaches one Sunday in English, and the other in German.
WALNUT HILL METHODIST CHURCH.
In 1804 the pioneer circuit rider, Rev. James Quinn, was appointed to the Hockhocking circuit. Soon after he made his way from Toby Town, near where Royalton now is, which was one of his regular appointments, to the cabin of William Harper, near where Lockbourne now stands, with Ezekiel Groom as his pilot through the wilderness. At Mr. Harper's wa organized the first society on the waters of Walnut creek. The members of the class were: William and Anna Harper, Noah and Thankful Bishop, Ezekiel and Rhoda Groom. The class was afterward removed to widow Lanbert's, and later to Walnut Hill. A frame meeting house was built there in 1833, the Presbyterians assisting in its erection. Thomas Morris donated two acres of land for the church and graveyard, and at his death left the society one thousand dollars, the interest on which he directed in his will to be used in keeping up the church and burying ground. The brick church was erected in 1869, at a cost of six thousand four hundred dollars. The membership is now about eighty. The class at Lockbourne held their earliest meetings in a log school-house, in the upper end of town. After the erection of the United Brethren church they held their services in that until 1850, when their present brick church was built. Among the membership composing the class at the time of its organization were: Josiah Hulvan and wife, Thomas Bennett, and J. M. Bennett. The first preacher for the society was a Rev. Mr. Martin. The membership of this church is now about forty-seven.
The Sunday-school of this church was organized in 1848, by Josiah Hulvan and wife, assisted by Wigtliam T. Smith, Abraham Smith, Samuel Rusk, and others. The school was, at first, held in the United Brethren church, but, in 1851, was removed to the Methodist Episcopal church. Josiah Hulvan was the first superintendent, and held that position until 1857, when he was succeeded by Wm. T. Smith. After Mr. Smith, the superintendents were, successively: Dr. J. N. Robinson, Joseph Brantner, John Stimmel, and John Rathmell.
THE METHODIST CHURCH
at Shadeville was organized in 1856, by Rev. Mr. Hooper. The members were Joshua Betts and wife, and Alban Kaylor and wife. A frame meeting-house was erected the same year, and occupied about ten years, when it fell down. The present brick church was built some six or seven years ago.
ST. MATTHEW'S CHURCH (EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN),
at Lockbourne, was erected in 1875, and the society was formed about the same time. The church cost some-
thing over three thousand dollars, and is not yet fully completed. It is a neat and commodious structure, and well furnished. The present pastor is William H. Brown, resident at St. Paul, Pickaway county.
HAMILTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
This society was organized, at an early date, by Rev. Dr. Hoge, of Columbus. They aided the Methodists in the erection of the church building at Walnut Hill, and held their meetings therein until the erection of the brick church south of Mr. Shoaf's. This church was built about 1841 or 1842. The organization has run down, and ne meetings have been held for several years. The church [building] is now used by the grange.
The United Brethren had a church organization at Lockbourne for many years until within the last few years. The class was formed at the former dwelling of Samuel Ranck, about the year 1842, by William K. McCabe, the first circuit preacher. There has been, prior to this time, local preaching in the neighborhood by Rev. Louis Kramer and others of the denomination, for several years. Preaching was held at Mr. Ranck's on the Dresbach place, in Madison township, this county, as early and 1837. The earliest members of the class were Samuel Ranck and wife, Daniel Dresbach and wife, Henry Hammond and wife, and H. P. Jeffers and wife. Meetings were held regularly at Mr. Ranck's every two weeks, until the building of the frame meeting house in Lockbourne, which was commenced in 1843, and completed and occupied in 1844. Local preaching had been held before this in the school house in Lockbourne. The society in its infancy met with opposition, and even persecution, from a class of individuals who had no regard for religious teaching, and the school house was finally locked against them. The church of the society was open to all orthodox denominations, and the Methodists and the Lutherans also occupied it for a time. The church numbered at one time about fifty members, but it was substantially broken up a number of years ago, and no meetings have been held at the church for three years; and a year ago it was sold to the village of Lockbourne for a town hall.
Mr. Ranck was the leader of the class, and the leading member of the church for many years.
The date of the construction of several mills in the township, that have long since gone down, we are unable to give. The first mill was probably the saw-mill of Michael Fisher, before mentioned. It was erected on the Scioto river, in the northwest part of the township, and was in operation until the canal was built, when it was torn down. Joseph Murray and Isaac Weatherington erected a saw-mill at an early date on Gahanna river, on the land now owned by W. T. Rees. John Herr and Francis Johnston had a saw-mill and grist-mill, and also a distillery, on the same stream, about a mile east of Shadeville. Oliver Hartwell erected a mill at the four-mile locks, soon after the completion of the canal. After running a number of years; it was burned down. A sa-mill was built at Shadeville, by John and Cornelius McCarthy, in 1834. They run it until 1837, when they sold out to James and John Dalzell, who subsequently took A. G. Hibbs in as partner.
THE COTTAGE MILLS,
located at Shadeville, were erected by James and John Dalzell and A. G. Hibbs in the year 1841. They operated them some ten years, when the Dalzells sold their interest to Hibbs, who made some additions to the building. The mill is now owned by C. & J. W. Seeds.
The first physician who settled in the township was Dr. Jeremiah Clark. Graduating at Cleveland in 1825, he soon after came to Hamilton, where he practiced medicine up to 1846. He resided on the farm still occupied by his widow and died in 1865. Dr. Holbrook is said to have been the earliest physician at Lockbourne. About 1833, he came there from New York; remained a few years, and then moved to Allen county, Ohio. Dr. A. N. Boales settled there soon after Dr. Holbrook, removing to Circleville, where he had been a former student of the well-known Dr. Luckey. He continued to practice in Lckbourne until his death. Dr. Carl located in Lockbourne about the year 1846, but remained only two or three years. Dr. Marshall, now of Blendon township, was a physician of Lockbourne a number of years, and was afterwards a representative in the legislature. Dr. H. L. Cheney, now of Groveport, practiced medicine in Lockbourne eleven months, leaving in 1848. Dr. Carney was there at the same time. The latter afterwards went to New Mexico. Dr. R. G. McLane [McLean] located at Lockbourne soon after Dr. Carney left, and practiced a number of years, when he sold out to Dr. I. N. Robinson and removed to Michigan. He returned a year or two afterward, and, buy Robinson out, continued in practice for three or four years, when he discontinued it, to accept an appointment as supervisor at the distillery. He died at Lockbourne. The present physicians there are Dr. H. C. Blake and Dr. M. A. Boner. The former received his medical education at the Columbus medical college, Columbus, Ohio, where he graduated in March, 1876. In April, of the same year, he commenced practice at Lockbourne, where he has since continued with success. Dr. Boner is a physician of the eclectic school, and began practice in Lockbourne in February, 1879.
Dr. Davis was the first physician in Shadeville, where he settled about 1850 or 1851. He was a student of Dr. Guard, of Harrison township, Pickaway county. After remaining about two years, he sold tow William Williams the property now occupied by his widow, and removed to Indian Territory. Before Dr. Davis left, Dr. W. J. Scott came in, and located where Dr. Blake now lives. Dr. Scott remained a number of years, and was a successful practitioner. He removed to Cleveland, and is now professor of theory and practice in the medical department of Wooster university, in that city. Dr. O. P. Brinker derived his medical education at Ohio medical college, Cincinnati, where he graduated, in 1864. He began practice in South Bloomfield, Pickaway county, in the spring of that year, and the next fall came to Shade-
ville, where he has since practiced, with the exception of one year, in Circleville. Dr. M. M. Stimmel resided in Shadeville for a year or two, engaged in the practice of his profession, a part of the time in partnership with Dr. Brinker. He removed from there to Kenton, Ohio. Dr. W. H. Blake, of Shadeville, settled there in 1870, and has since built up a fine practice. He is a graduate of Starling medical college, Columbus, receiving his diploma in the spring of 1870.
Hamilton Grange, No. 436, was chartered in 1874, the applicants for the charter being Eli Shook, Christian Kortzholtz, T. M. Huddle, J. C. Platter, Job Rohr, J. J. Rohr, Rebecca Shook, G. L. Thompson, Elizabeth Thompson, R. M. Williams, A. C. Finks and others. The first officers were Eli Shook, M.; Christian Kortzholtz, O.; T. M. Huddle, chaplain; A. P. Sawyer, L.; J. C. Platter, Secretary. The grange was organized in the school house at Lockbourne, where a few of the first meetings were held. It then met for a short time at the house of Eli Shook, after which the lower hall in the masonic building was rented, and since May, 1874, has been used as a grange hall. The officers for 1879 are Eli Shoo, M.; R. M. Williams, O.; W. H. Roberts, L.; Joseph Bradner, chaplain; Absalom Rohr, secretary. The present membership is about thirty.
HAMILTON CHURCH GRANGE, NO. 557,
was organized February 16, 1874, with the following officers: H. C. Jones, master; John Stimmel, overseer; Jacob Reab, secretary; John Helsel, lecturer; Jacob H. Evans, chaplain; John R. Shoaf, steward; H. G. Clark, assistant steward; William Williams, treasurer; F. M. Stimmel, gate-keeper; Mrs. L. W. Simpson, ceres; Mrs. Mary Stimmel, flora; Mrs. Mary Reab, pomono; Mrs. Lizzie Stimmel, lady assistant steward.
The present officers are as follows: John Stimmel, master; H. G. Clark, overseer; Mary Reab, secretary; Mrs. M. J. Stimmel, lecturer; Lemon Meeker, chaplain; G. W. Shoaf, steward; H. E. Jones, assistant steward; John Lisle, treasurer; John Strickler, gate-keeper; Emma Shoaf, ceres; Ida Lisle, flora; Mattie Boalse, pomono; Anna Clark, lady assistant stewart [sic.].
The Lockbourne Lodge, No. 232, F. and A. M., was organized November 18, 1852, with the following officers" Dr. A. N. Boalse, W. M.; R. G. McLean, S. W.; Josiah Hulva, J. W.; Harvey Gould, S. D.; Jacob Louis, J. D.; P. Adams, secretary; A G. Hibbs, treasurer; John M. Yates, tyler.
Upon the death of W. M. Boalse in 1853, the G. M. appointed as officer the following named: R. G. McLean, W. M.; Josiah Hulva, S. W.; Jasper Berger, J. W.
The society was granted a charter October 20, 1853. At the first election under the charter the following officers were chosen: R. G. McLean , W. M.; O. B. Keene, S. W.; Joseph Loehr, J. W.; J. N. Kocher, secretary; J. A. Sarber, treasurer; Joseph Brantner, S. D.; J. B. Walford, J. D., and O. Caldwell, tyler. At the present writing the following are the officers: M. D. Brantner, W. M.; William Wright, S. W.; H. C. Blake, J. W.; Joseph Brantner, treasurer; Lewis R. Young, secretary; Absolum Rohr, S. D.; Charles Walford, J. D.; T. M. Clark and W. H. Blake, stewards; J. H. Hair, tyler.
There are two small villages in Hamilton, namely: Lockbourne, and Shadeville. The former, situated in the south part of the township, on Gahanna river; was laid out in the fall of 1831, by Colonel Kilbourne, was agent for Joel Buttles, Demas Adams, and others. The first syllable of the name of the village is derived from the circumstance of a number of locks in the canal at that point, to which the proprietor added the last syllable of his own name.
The first store in the village was kept by George Reed, in a frame building which stood near the present site of William Manypenney's residence. About three years before the town was laid out, however, the granville company, who constructed the canal through Lockbourne, established a store there, principally for their own convenience in the construction of the canal, and that of the men in their employ. They erected the building in which Reed afterwards opened, and continued in trade until the completion of the canal. Two brothers, by the name of Coats, had, at the same time, a store at the lower end of towns. John H. Stage started a store after that of Reed, in a part of the old warehouse, on the canal. He afterward built and occupied the building now occupied by Peter Palmer. Stage finally removed to Columbus, where he continued in trade. Other stores have been established at Lockbourne, too numerous to specify.
A post-office was established at Lockbourne, in 1837, with Nathan G. Smith as postmaster. His successors have been: Zebulon Marcy, appointed in 1838; John H. Stage, in 1839; C. M. Porter, in 1849; Dr. A. N. Boalse, in 1851; Dr. J. R. Marshall, in 1853; John A. Sarber, in 1854; John H. Haire, in 1856; Peter Palmer, the present incumbent, in April, 1875.
The distillery of William Manypenny was established by Daniel Kellogg, in 1839. The original building was a frame, and stood a short distance below the present one. The brick building was destroyed in fire in 1853, and was rebuilt by A. H. Elliott.
Lockbourne now contains about three hundred inhabitants, two stores, two churches, a post-office, a school house, two or three mechanic shops, one distillery, two saloons, and two physicians.
Shadeville, situated on the Chillicothe pike, two miles north of the south line of the township, was laid out, by A. G. Hibbs, in spring of 1853, and named for his wife, whose maiden name was Shade. Joshua Betts sold the first goods in Shadeville, about the year 1838. He kept his store in a part of Hibbs' saw-mill, just below the present grist-mill. A few months afterward, he erected a building just south of the grist-mill, in which he kept store fro some four years, when, deciding to discontinue business, he removed the goods to his dwelling and closed them out. The next store was started by Huffman & Dresbach, in the building which they also erected, now occupied by D. S. Evans. They continued several years, and then sold to James Cory, who, two years after-
ward, sold to Simpson & Stimmel. They continued in business about two years, when they were succeeded by D. S. & C. W. Evans. The latter withdrew from the firm in 1876, and since then the business has been carried on by D. S. Evans. The Shadeville house was erected by A. G. Hibbs, in 1850 or 1851, and was first kept by Jonathan Hibbs. It has since been kept, successively, by A. G. Hibbs, Joshua Hertzell, and Jacob Reab, the present proprietor, who purchased the property in 1868. A post-office was established in Shadeville in 1853. A. G. Hibbs was the first post-master, and served until 1858, when Joshua Hertzell was appointed. He kept the office some ten years, until his death, when his widow was appointed, and served one year. She was succeeded, in 1869, but Jacob Reab, the present incumbent. Shadeville now contains some twenty-five or thirty families, a post-office, a store, a hotel and saloon, a grist-mill, a shop or two, a church, a school-house, and two physicians. These villages are not thriving.
THE LISLE FAMILY.
THE STOMBAUGH FAMILY.